What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are beauties. Aren't you cold all winter where you are? Or is my geography way off? Your fall planted onion seeds make it through he winter? And those greenhouse seedlings-are they bigger than a thread when you put them outside?

They aren't much bigger than threads, Cat'. Maybe they are yarn size ...

We have had 3 of the last 4 winters with no sub-zero weather. Having a winter without the thermometer dropping below zero used to happen about once every 10 years, maybe not that frequently. (Snow was also down to next-to-nothing this winter.)

When I have shown seed in August, it wasn't in recent years. It didn't work all that well. The plants tended to bolt in the spring.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted my Black Japanese Treifle and Berkeley Tie Dye. The nursery did not have Hillbilly so I picked the Berekely Tie Die. It has similar color and was developed for northern California by Wild Boar Farms. I'm familiar with them so I'm excited to see how it does.

Mary

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I JUST started the indoor flat of peas on Saturday, in the hope I can put them out in a few weeks (as a cold tolerant plant). At least I sure as hell HOPE I can, if I've messed it up, I'm up the river of brown smelly stuff; those were all of those peas I had and I can't get more.

I also sowed some pansy seeds in a available pot, since the pansy plants I bought seem to not be handling the indoors well and I think I need backup

I suppose in two or so weeks I can probably be confident enough we are done with long hard freezes to bring the pots of garlic and other alliums up from the garage (Alliums can handle cold, but, based on last year, apparently not the combination of severe cold and moisture we now get during the winter.)

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy the sets, too. Onions and leeks from seed require an early start in the unheated greenhouse, in February. I have also sown seed in the garden at the end of August for onions the following year. I find that shallots do well from seed sown in April, in the garden.

Onions like fertile ground. After the soil is nicely loosened with fertilizer added, rake the surface clear of rocks ...

Ah yes, there's probably one of my problems. Fertile ground, I've been at this location 14 years and still trying to get this soil decent. Between the sand base and the cedars, it's thin, acidic, full of roots, just nasty. I can't create enough compost to fix it. Doesn't help that this year DH wants to build a sugar shack/firewood/tractor shed smack in the part I've worked on the most. I told him he'll have to move the best dirt out to the new garden spot.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Zone 3 is pretty hopeless this time of year, even though we are having an early spring. My gogi Berries are up in the sunroom, and outside the rhubarb is about one inch tall. Garlic is coming up too, but I worry that since our last frost day is June 15 it all might get taken out. Better get ready to cover it. Today I plan on planting basel in pots along with flat leaf parsley to start inside. .. Now I've said it.. I better do it!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted my Black Japanese Treifle and Berkeley Tie Dye. The nursery did not have Hillbilly so I picked the Berekely Tie Die. It has similar color and was developed for northern California by Wild Boar Farms. I'm familiar with them so I'm excited to see how it does.

Mary
Not to be too stupid...what are they?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A flat of alyssum, another late flat of tomatoes, and 500 or so impatiens seeds are peeking out ... and I am so unorganized this year, I'm not completely sure if I'm ahead or behind. :confused:

I should run out and check the rhubarb and garlic! The grandkids will be here Wed. thru Easter and they are going to have a great time helping grandma in the yard ... :old... :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry Cat, I rave so much on here about the Japanese Black Triefle being my favorite tomatoe that I thought everyone knew what they were. Hillbilly is also my favorite. ;)

Mary

Last edited:

Latest posts