What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:
I planted a snow shovel in a 3 ft high snow bank :lol:
I planted 2 round bales of hay into feeders surrounded by snow. They sprouted horses the minute the tractor was out of the way, amazing!

Indoors the Amaryllis have started to grow. My February pick me up - hold me through till spring outside - sanity flowers. :cool:

jenmserve00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am going to start my own garden as soon as winter is over. I do hope I get good results. This will be my first time. My mom has a beautiful garden and I want my garden to be as beautiful as hers. Good luck to me! ;)

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jenmserve00 said:
I am going to start my own garden as soon as winter is over. I do hope I get good results. This will be my first time. My mom has a beautiful garden and I want my garden to be as beautiful as hers. Good luck to me! ;)
Good luck to you in your first garden...

I see your tag line is for restriction enzymes, exonucleases and ligases, et al. Probably not too much of a demand here for those products on this forum. But I get it, I worked in the molecular biology field for sixteen years before changing careers to a stay at home dad and now an elementary school teacher.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just planted a row of collards and my second crop of pac choy. Turnips tomorrow. I let my kailaan go to flowers for the bees so I should probably plant a new row of that.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, you are making me green with envy!! Think of us in the northern climes, while you are digging in the dirt!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
San Diego is probably the easiest part of the country to garden. Although I enjoy that I still want to get back out into the country where I have some breathing room. just too many people here.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
we planted about 10 bags of steer manure Wednesday so our veggies should do well this coming spring.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I planted two varieties of lettuce: Vivian and Slo-Bolt. And, my wife said we have too much lettuce, so she suggested that I plant some cucumbers. So, I planted Spacemaster cucumbers. Perhaps she will get one in time for Valentine's Day. :lol:

impis

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you have this variety over there - but last year I grew cucumbers called 'Lemon Crystal'. The fruits were round, yellow, but the flesh tasted great - just like regular cucumbers. Plus, you don't need to remove the male flowers as this variety needs to be fertilised to set fruit. It can also be grown outside, here in the uk, where most cucumbers have to be grown in a greenhouse.

product_2332_large.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew a similar cucumber a few years ago, Lemon Yellow. We thought it did not have much taste. I did, however, grow it in the soil garden. In the greenhouse I have been growing telegraph improved, which do not need pollination. For next year I have seeds for Little Leaf. It is a small plant with small leaves, and is also parthenocarpic; the fruit is medium size. If I had those seeds last week I would have used them to grow indoors. I got the seeds from High Mowing Seeds and they also have what I think you are referring to. Here is what I will be growing next year:

Organic H-19 Little Leaf Cucumber - Parthenocarpic plants produce fruit under stress and without pollinators, guaranteeing high yields in the field or under cover. Compact vines are multi-branching and will climb easily while small leaf size allows for easier fruit visibility when harvesting. Medium-sized fruits are smooth and tapered with white spines. Widely adapted for greenhouse or field. Works well in containers. Developed and released by the University of Arkansas in 1991. (Cucumis sativus)

Latest posts