What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the whole garden and the other of one of the iris. If you want to see more I can upload others. The garden is fenced to keep out rabbits and is 20 x 50. The diamond garden in the middle has four rose bushes and guara in it. At the back of the iris I have 6 more roses but they can't be seen very well .

6666_100_1174.jpg

6666_100_1183.jpg

Luvsroses

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thank you, that is just gorgeous, you did an amazing job in the desert! i wish we had that blue sky here...cold fog is just not very motivating, its supposed to end today though! then I can get to the garden bed renovating :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like a lovely garden! That iris warms my heart on this cold day!! When will you be able to plant your veggies?

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice place you got there! Those rabbits can be nasty on any vegetation.. I fully understand why you need the fence.. I once saw (when I was a teen) what I called a rabbit massacre near Garlock,CA (off of Hwy 395), near some ghost-town like stuff -- I've never seen so many dead rabbits in one place -- some in burlap bags, many strewn about.. Really gross.. Eww!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have both jack rabbits and cottontails. The property is fenced with 2x4 square fencing and the jacks can't get through but the cottontails can squeeze through the 2x4 wire. I have i/2 inch chicken wire two feet high all the way around the flower bed and the veggie garden and the cottontails can't get through. We also buried the fencing about 6 inches and they try but so far haven't dug under. The building at the back of the garden is my chicken coop/aviary. The town you were talking about must have been Randsburg. It's called "a living ghost town" and it's off 395. We are also but we're farther north where 14 joins with 395. That's why we have the pretty views of the Sierra. Has anyone ever seen the desert when it's covered with snow? Let's see if I can add a photo to this. Isn't it pretty? It's hard to believe that it's desert.

6666_100_1820.jpg

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey desert.. I don't suppose you've got a full-sized version of that picture do you? That looks like it would make a great desktop background for my computer at work -- (I might as well day dream while I'm at work!)

If you do, I'd love to get one! That's some scenery you don't see every day! One time a number of years ago, a friend and I were in Death Valley in the spring (if I recall) and went into one of the high valleys on the way to "the race track" and went into some ominous looking clouds -- that day we saw Sun, got rained on, hailed on and snowed on -- all within an area of 50 square miles! It's amazing what sort of weather shows up in the desert -- not at all like the stereotype -- hot only weather!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Do you want one printed and mailed or one e-mailed to you. I have this scene as a desk top on my computer right now. It sure changes the appearance of what is classified a desert. I have three different shots. Let me know and I'd be happy to send one to you.

Latest posts