What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Jackb -- those salad greens look terrific! If you had to estimate the cost of setting up to grow what you've got in that picture -- the eight tubs of lettuce -- what would you say it would cost? It seems that amount would just about keep one or two people in salad greens each week. I think I'd like to set up something like that. I've got space for it in my basement, no problem...

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rozzie said:
Jackb -- those salad greens look terrific! If you had to estimate the cost of setting up to grow what you've got in that picture -- the eight tubs of lettuce -- what would you say it would cost? It seems that amount would just about keep one or two people in salad greens each week. I think I'd like to set up something like that. I've got space for it in my basement, no problem...
Rozzie,

I build my own systems and use bus tubs for the flood and drain systems. The cost per unit, I estimate, is about thirty to thirty five dollars complete. The pumps I get from Harbor Freight for about eight dollars each and the air pump and airstones from Wal_Mart or Pet Smart. You might check my blog or the web for other ideas. It is not rocket science. Each tub holds ten to twelve plants so you don't need many for two people. Good Luck.
Jack

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Transplanted corn. They are in wall-o-waters. Planted Yukon Gold potatoes. Put tomato seedlings in the cold frame. Checked on the cabbage under the frost blanket and that spouted :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wish the snow was completely gone from our area. :hit but i have started my broccoli, brussel sprouts and some cauliflower this past week and they have already started sprouting up! :ya

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last week between my own garden and the congregation garden, I planted

Basil
Swiss Chard (Bright Lights and Foodhook)
Spinach
Lettuce (many different kinds)
Califlower
Kale

And I transplanted some Goji Berry sprouts into 6 pack. I spit some seeds into a small pot, just to see if they would grow, and it looks like every seed came up!! They are so tiny... I wonder if they will turn into 10 ft bushes? Maybe in a few years.

I'm A Gardener :)

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
Last week between my own garden and the congregation garden, I planted

Basil
Swiss Chard (Bright Lights and Foodhook)
Spinach
Lettuce (many different kinds)
Califlower
Kale

And I transplanted some Goji Berry sprouts into 6 pack. I spit some seeds into a small pot, just to see if they would grow, and it looks like every seed came up!! They are so tiny... I wonder if they will turn into 10 ft bushes? Maybe in a few years.
I bought some swiss chard seeds, and was wondering....
Can you transplant it, or should you sow them directly where they should stay? Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardener, I would get those seeds in the ground right now. I assume you are able to work your soil? No snow? You can transplant, but they are so hardy, there really is no need. After my feet of snow melted I could see the center of my swiss chard was still alive!! Happy Gardening!

I'm A Gardener :)

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The ground is still pretty frozen, even though we have beds to garden in..... Maybe in the afternoon they will thaw out and I could plant em'!!!! I'm pretty excited about it!

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
jackb said:
Rozzie said:
Rozzie,

I build my own systems and use bus tubs for the flood and drain systems. The cost per unit, I estimate, is about thirty to thirty five dollars complete. The pumps I get from Harbor Freight for about eight dollars each and the air pump and airstones from Wal_Mart or Pet Smart. You might check my blog or the web for other ideas. It is not rocket science. Each tub holds ten to twelve plants so you don't need many for two people. Good Luck.
Jack
Thanks, Jack. I started looking through your blog the other day. I'll have to do more later. With those costs, it does seem like they'd pay for themselves quickly enough. I've never grown things hydroponically before and will have to really study this one first. Do you need a pump and airstone for each of those, are do you have them connected somehow?

Latest posts