What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted more super petunias today and spent several hours weeding until the wind came up and started blowing dirt in my eyes. I have so much blooming that it worries me since we have a storm coming in Friday that will drop temps to 53F in daytime and below freezing at night with snow levels now dropping to 3000 feet. I'll have to cover the tomatoes since they're in flower. I put in some hollyhocks and I bought zinnia seed. I've already planted sunflower seed. A friend gave me a box of aloe plants and I need to plant them along the stagecoach trail that runs through the property. I'm planting a lot of cactus and native plants along the trail and dropping horseshoes, bits, etc. I even have an old boot. We plan on using it as a walk. I planted an ocotillo last fall but it hasn't done anything yet. I have a lovely pink blossom on one of the cactus and several more in bud.

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like this topic, almost can keep a daily blog here, lol.
I have started within the last month, seeds to:
Arbutus unedo,
brugmansia sanguinea,
vigna caracalla,
passiflora caerulea,
asclepias curassavica,
asclepias tuberosa,
Super Boy tomato,
alpine strawberry 'vesca'
nelumbo 'white'
various wildflower seed for bees and butterflies
sweet basil,
lantana,
bauhinia, white species
dichondra,
dichondra 'silver falls'
Gerbera
Gaillardia
Sunflower, common
Actinidia arguta
Calotropis gigantea
Loquats: these for hedging, not fruiting

Planted either cuttings or bought:

justicia brandegeana
justicia 'fruit cocktail'
passiflora foetida
passiflora vitifolia
passiflora edulis
lantana, common multi-colored
Cedar, Old Worlde Roman (can't remember name)
Pentas, all colors
Lemongrass
Climax blueberry
Brightwell blueberry
Blackberry Natchez
Concord grape
Thompson seedless grape
Another grape I can't remember
Carlos muscadine grape

whew! I've been taking advantage of my screened in space ;)

Chillydawg

Leafing Out
Reaction score
In my greenhouse I have planted spinach, onion sets, romaine lettuce, radishes, carrots about a week ago. This morning I planted 4 tomato plants. I might be a bit early on the tomatos, but I'll cover them at night.

Also out there in seedstarter trays, I have cucumbers, broccoli, brussel sprouts, acorn squash, zucchini squash and cantalope.

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
purple broccoli
french leeks
dragon carrots

The seeds got here this afternoon and so of course I had to run out and plant them right away.

That was today....

Oh, I almost forgot! My husband is out there right now. He is locked out of the house until he gets the Boone County corn in the ground. I told him he better dance like Jesco! ;);):tools

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just as I was afraid would happen. The frost got two of my tomato plants. I had them covered too. The wind was very bad last night and it got down to 29. everything else looked pretty good except for a small trumpet vine. It got nipped also but the bigger one didn't. It's warming up again so guess I'll get more tomatoes this wee3k.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, Desertwillow. The cold with the wind is what got about 20% or my tomato plants when I set them out too early last year. They were covered . . . with the sprinkler going . . . But, most of the ones that were lost had large pots with drainage holes. (I ran out of buckets :(.)

A 10 mph wind when it is below freezing just fried those under the pots.

stepstephens2 said:
purple broccoli
french leeks
dragon carrots
Interesting choices! Do you intend to leave those French leeks in the garden thru next winter?

I just realized that it is "step step hens 2" . . :lol: Nothing to do with "Stephen" so I can't call you "Steve," I guess ;), LOL!

Stephen

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS'-
Oh, I don't know what I'm doing with those leeks... truthfully, a gopher is eating a path right through my onion patch. I overwintered the onions so every one of them was precious to me. I'm pretty sure that whatever I plant there is going to become gopher food. So I planted leeks. I kind of have a jack and the beanstock mentality when it somes to planting, anyways. I like to throw things in the dirt and see what comes up!:pop (I've also got going a supposedy 60 lbs. cabbage, walking stick cabbage, ghost chilis, red, white, & blue potatoes- planted in that order, grayzini, white cucumber... I like to be entertained by my vegetables and plants.)

Oh, and my username is a mix of my first and last name... it just happens to be that it comes up step step hens! :lol::lol:

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted:
Strawberries
Daylilies
Coneflowers
Butterfly Weed
Balloon Flower
Thyme

Latest posts