What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
  • Bok Choy,
  • Choy Sum &
  • Mustard Greens
These should be ready for the table in very early October. They will be growing through "the cool-down" if we have a normal late-August. The first frosts of September will really put the brakes on 'em, even if they can survive much colder temperatures.

Next, I must decide if I will have cool-season greens in the unheated greenhouse this winter. If so, I can sow seed for transplants to the greenhouse, mid-August. I really must be working on that greenhouse. There were all those pepper plants in there last fall and opening it up for a few days would have killed them. So, I didn't ... Missed the winter greens and still have that decaying sill!

Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Saturday the plan is to hopefully harvest the tomatoes and peppers I have on the plants, then pull the plants. Three of my four beds I will paper and mulch for overwintering. The last one I am going to try a little bit of fall gardening in. I have some beet seeds, some radish seeds I want to use up (radishes grown here are always very very hot and taste like dirt instead of radish, but I like the greens), and maybe a couple of peas and some lettuce and spinach. If I plant on saturday, I will have about 35 days till the first average frost.

It is only a 4x4 space, so it shouldn't be too much to take care of. We are in a slow time at work until November, but I have a new dog who takes a lot of time and attention until he settles into the routine. My daylight hours are drying up fast, and the fall allergies have started. Once the commercial grain farmers start harvesting, I am usually house bound; the combination of corn & bean dust with ragweed and goldenrod is more than any kind of allergy med can help me handle.

My gardening season is almost over!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not really planting, but I decided to get a mushroom grow bag of NZ native Oyster mushies. This arrived yesterday, so now I wait patiently for this to grow. Apparently, I need to keep it in a warm, rather darkish spot while it does its thing.

I managed to find a few more spots for fruit trees as well as another Almond, so this week, they have been planted out. Added to the mix now is a Dwarf cherry, the Astringent Persimmon, Dwarf Madarin and a couple of Nashi's. One of these is a double grafted one. I think I am almost out of room for fruit trees now.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Transplanted 5 more Brussels Sprouts to their bed outside. I have 5 more in reserve. They Are growing, but not fast enough for me. After my Salsa Party 9: PUNNY!!, on October 19th, I will start construction on their temporary greenhouse. Should be fun, and you NEVER KNOW if your experiments will work. After ALL, I planted what I thought were beet seeds, not knowing that I had emptied the beet seeds on top of radish seeds. We've been enjoying radishes for the past 3 weeks, and only a handful have been woody. They are French Breakfast and HUGE. I AM going to interplant like this again.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Early last week I transplanted brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. Saturday I sowed seeds for carrots, beets, spinach, radishes, collards, lettuce, turnips, chard, and mustard. Somehow I missed kale but should take care of that in the next few days. I have no experience with how they will do down here but will see. Anything will be a plus.

Latest posts