What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
French Breakfast radishes do this a little bit, too. You don't need to make the soil friable for a radish.

yeah, a lot of cover crop mixes will include those radishes for that purpose. :) very big radishes, i grow them here, they're also hot, i don't eat them much, but if someone wants some i'll give them a few. it's pretty rare they ask for them again. :) i just eat the sprouts - oh and sometimes the pods.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Today I planted 2020 spinach seeds, 2019 (I Think?) onion seeds and 2020 leek seeds.
I kept them stored cool and dry, In fact they were out on the porch all winter.
I didn't do a germination test, but the spinach seeds should sprout. I planted them pretty thick.
The onions and leeks, not so likely. I planted all of them thickly, and into one of my 100 gallon Rubbermaid horse troughs, with last years compost, now VERY, VERY well rotted.
Funny, I dug down 6 inches to find ice. Should be interesting to see if the 60's for the next few days will melt much of it. Certainly it will keep the soil cool for awhile!
I am starting my 2021 spinach seeds INdoors for later transplant.
I plan to plant ALL of my old and saved seeds this year just to see what comes up. I really want to plant thickly around my vegetables this year with other vegetables and flowers. I don't care if any of the old cool weather vegetable seedlings bolt, just better than weeding.
We get rain wednesday night, so I didn't bother to water. The soil was already damp enough under the surface to suffice.
Btw, I disagree about transplants. I believe that if you put your transplant container in water and let the transplants lift themselves out and are gentle, transplanting is possible for most vegetables into super loose soil with compost. I have successfully transplanted tiny carrots. My meager carrot harvests have all been bc I didn't get them planted early enough.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Btw, "In like a lion, out like a lamb" has been said to refer to Leo the Lion constellation, waning in the east (at sunset) at the beginning of March, and Aries the Ram rising at the end of march, northern hemisphere.
We have certainly had "lamb" weather This start of March.
This warm early March weather, while pleasant, makes me nervous. The last time March came "in like a lamb" here, the whole lion pride showed up in April, roaring for revenge. The record April snow storm in 2018 dumped 15-30" at various points in the storm track (we had 18" of wet snow here). That heavy snow collapsed a lot of structures around here (including my patio) and it took 3 days to dig everyone out; so obviously I'm hoping not to see a repeat. :fl

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peas and Potatoes.

Creamed peas and potatoes ... well, not yet ;).

There were a few kale and onion plants set out in an outside bed here at home. Temporary hoop house doesn't count. I could have had more things set out here but, it wouldn't have been here at home but on the other side of the back fence. With the passing of the good neighbor there, his family will be selling the house. The distant big veggie garden is somewhat cooler. It was time for the peas and potatoes and carrot seed might have gone in but the water hasn't been turned on and the soil is dry, dry, dry.

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents: its a bitch getting old.

See these pics? I scooped out the squash, put them on a plate, swearing that I'd remember what they are. Darn it all.......
I labeled three yogurt containers of flower seeds that went into the refrigerator for stratification. What does PCF stand for? I have no idea anymore.

I hate getting old!

Attachments

• IMG_7696.JPG
    IMG_7696.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7695.JPG
    IMG_7695.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7694.JPG
    IMG_7694.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 190

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FINALLY planted about 1,000 beet seeds where I had tried to plant beets last Fall. The plot is about 9 x 12ft, and I dusted over the beets with old allyssum seeds. It was like watching dust fly.
We had a very good soaking rain yesterday, last night and this morning.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What does PCF stand for? I have no idea anymore.

I hate getting old!
Personal Care Facility?

You know how those kinda homes - they change the names every few years because each generation develops negative notions about the earlier name.

Hey, Rhodie. Before you start throwing things at me! You said something about the Rogue Valley Manor 🌷a few weeks ago. I remember when that was built ... :D.

Steve

Latest posts