What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The forecast said we would have a summer-like April, and very soon, the temperature will rise to 25C/77F.

I transplanted today some broad beans seedlings that I pinched the top shoots. The side shoots grow from both the stems and the bottoms. Don't know how much they can adapt.

Since the weather will be nice for a while, I sowed pumpkins, cucumbers, sunflowers, and more snap peas. Maybe I should sow soybeans again. I like Edamame very much, but the harvest is quite limited. I guess the weather is not warm enough for them.

P Suckling

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nothing today, but 2 weeks ago it was time for the chilis to go into the propagator, with a little bottom heat. They germinated quite well and are now in a much cooler place by the window. Also a couple of pinches of lettuce seed and Giant Bolivian Achocha. We have tiny plants to care for again.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It certainly does feel good to have tiny plants to care for. Today I am sowing Boltardy beet and Kuroda Nova carrot seeds in mini soil blocks, just as an experiment to see if they will tolerate germinating in these tiny cubes of soil. If it works I will pop them in the ground outside almost right away, perhaps after a week or so after they sprout.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It certainly does feel good to have tiny plants to care for. Today I am sowing Boltardy beet and Kuroda Nova carrot seeds in mini soil blocks, just as an experiment to see if they will tolerate germinating in these tiny cubes of soil. If it works I will pop them in the ground outside almost right away, perhaps after a week or so after they sprout.
Spoiler alert: they do quite well in mini soil blocks... but beware of waiting too long to pop them outside. Putting the blocks on top of a layer of loose soil gives the roots something to go into if they exceed the height of the block (and that happens, at least for carrots, pretty quickly after emergence).

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is encouraging news-- thank you Meadow! Are mini blocks your preferred method for starting beet and carrot seeds?

I decided to try my hand at creating 'double decker' mini blocks for the seeds, to give the roots a bit more room to grow downward. I did a couple of single blocks of each as well. As long as the blocks remain upright and don't collapse I think it might work. And next time I will try your trick
of placing the blocks on top of a layer of loose soil.

Attachments

• IMG_20230206_133843795.jpg
    IMG_20230206_133843795.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 87

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is encouraging news-- thank you Meadow! Are mini blocks your preferred method for starting beet and carrot seeds?

I decided to try my hand at creating 'double decker' mini blocks for the seeds, to give the roots a bit more room to grow downward. I did a couple of single blocks of each as well. As long as the blocks remain upright and don't collapse I think it might work. And next time I will try your trick
When I first saw this post I drooled for a moment - fudge brownies with crushed walnuts on top! Yum! :oops:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

For starting early carrots and beets where I want to ensure germination, yes. It is quite fiddly for carrots if the root is extending below the block. The little root wants to cling to the side of the planting hole and it is tricky to get it in there.

Last year the carrots started in mini-blocks did MUCH better than the direct seeded carrots. Of course that could just be a reflection of my inexperience with carrots, I dunno. 😅

For beets though, they do so well being direct-seeded that I would only use the soil blocks if I want to jumpstart the season. I had some that were pretty well started last year (I can't remember how far along they were) and direct-seeded some about the same time as transplanting. They both did very well.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For beets though, they do so well being direct-seeded that I would only use the soil blocks if I want to jumpstart the season.
I was able to grow a nice crop of beets a few years ago and since then it has been a struggle; I am at the point where I am considering just growing them for the greens--- because that is often all I get. This year I invested in several different varieties, to see if that makes a difference. If you have any suggestions for how I might up my game I welcome all assistance.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
When do you start your beets? I ALWAYS seem to plant mine late, but I always get Some kind of harvest,
Here are a couple of links that might help you! :D
My favorite beets are the forono beet bc you get a lot more beet to eat,.
Also, when I cut the tops off of a large beet I can tell right away if it's tough. I have harvested a lot of 2 inch thick beets that were tender.
Grow beets for the root. The root was developed from a primarily leaf vegetable, then developed in Swiss Chard to eliminate the root.
(Sounds a little like the lemon.)
Grow greens from Swiss Chard, Rainbow Swiss Chard is, IMHO and lovely flowery vegetable that fits nicely in a flower bed, too,

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dug out my beet seeds. Kind of a nice collection. Boltardy are the first ones that I am sowing, as they can apparently handle being planted in February. I may just try a few of them in a container-- thank you for suggesting that!

Attachments

• IMG_20230207_111626244.jpg
    IMG_20230207_111626244.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 81