What are your favorite unusual fruits or veggies?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am trying quite a few new things this year, so I dont have favorties yet. I am growing bushel gourds, pepino melons, kiwano horned melons, and luffa gourd.

What does everyone else like to grow that will puzzle and amaze your friends?

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Everything I grow amazes my friends! Dang city folk! :lol:

I like to try new stuff every year. This year my main thing is Luffa Gourds. I bought various flowers I've never grown before, but the gourds are the big thing. My favorite thing to grow is tomatoes, and I hate them!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The fact they call my house a farm is amusing enough for my friends...

But everyone I know had their hands out for extra spinach and radishes already this month!!!! :he

(Not a single one wants to try fresh eggs though... too freaked out!)

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm growing Hokaido melons (those black melons that went for 6000 dollars in Japan last year) and I always grow my yellow and orange watermelons which I guess some people think are weird.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In today's society, I think growing anything amazes people. It was more convient to just buy something.

In any case my friends are more amazed by my bunnies and that I eat them.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I'm growing Hokaido melons (those black melons that went for 6000 dollars in Japan last year) and I always grow my yellow and orange watermelons which I guess some people think are weird.
What are those? Do you have a name or a place I could go to read about them?

My favorite to grow is any of the squash family. They grow like weeds here. Ever hear of the Rocky Ford Cantalope? I live about an hour from Rocky Ford. :)

That is funny, Obsessed. They probably think it is like eating a dog or something. :lol:

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
The fact they call my house a farm is amusing enough for my friends...

But everyone I know had their hands out for extra spinach and radishes already this month!!!! :he

(Not a single one wants to try fresh eggs though... too freaked out!)
292.gif

well that is just crazy

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:weee HAPPY EARTH DAY, EVERYBODY!!!!

I will be growing the horned melons, the yellow/orange watermelon, a rainbow of carrots and tomatoes, romanesco cauliflower, purple kale, rainbow chard, popcorn, black radishes, purple asparagus, etc. We have white mulberries growing wild.

I LOVE finding unusual, especially heirloom, varieties of common fruits and veggies that people haven't seen before.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
warmfuzzies said:
farmerlor said:
What are those? Do you have a name or a place I could go to read about them?

My favorite to grow is any of the squash family. They grow like weeds here. Ever hear of the Rocky Ford Cantalope? I live about an hour from Rocky Ford. :)

That is funny, Obsessed. They probably think it is like eating a dog or something. :lol:
Read about the Hokaido melons or the yellow and oranges? My favorites are Tendersweet, Moon and Stars and Orangeglo. All heirlooms so you can collect the seeds. Gosh, I'll have to find out if I can collect seeds from the Hokaido! They're growing quite nicely. Think I can get 6000 dollars for one of their melons????

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was talking about the hakkaido melon, sorry. :) I hope you can save seeds form them, I would love to have some!

I am growing the Desert King watermelon, it is yellow fruited. I would also like to try some Garden Huckleberrys, they sound interesting, but I diddnt get any seed for this year.

I did get some pineapple tomatillas.

Latest posts