What are your favorite unusual fruits or veggies?

laurenlulu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm growing nothing weird this year, but next year I want to grow pretty much everything from the Bakers Creek catalog- lol!

But really, so far my list is:

tomatillos- not that weird, but I am in WV :rolleyes:

jelly melon or horned cucumber- it has spiny horns and the pulp inside resembles lime jello (per Bakers Creek catalog) I know my kids will love that one

tigger melon- bright yellow and red stripes

and yard long beans- how cool would that be?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have jelly melons gowing nicely in pots! I am :fl they make it after transplanting, they will be so cool!

And I LOVE the Bakers Creek catalog, everything in it just has me drooling. :lol:

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
The fact they call my house a farm is amusing enough for my friends...
I'm with you there. I own all of two acres, half of which is woodlot, but because I have chickens and a garden, it magically becomes a farm. You know, like your seat cushion becomes a flotation device. :lol:

I'm doing the luffa gourds this year, hopefully. Although daylilies are sort of an unusual veggie, people don't realize you can eat them. And I grow them. So I guess it counts. I like edible flowers--violets, daylilies, pansies, roses, etc. And rose hip soda, you make a sugar syrup boiled with rose hips and strain it, then dilute 1:3 with club soda. Just ate a batch of dandelion fritters, which most people think are just weeds.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know how unusual they but since most of my friends do not garden they will be amazed by anything, I am growing
purple and orange cauliflower
lime green pointy broccoli (veronica)
rainbow carrots
luffa gourds and goblin gourds
purple asparagus
various colored and shaped radishes
moon and stars watermelon
red, blue, yellow and purple potatoes
heirloom tomatoes of just about every color

Latest posts