What can't you grow??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If at first you don't succeed . . . quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. ~ paraphrased, W. C. Fields

Yeah, I tried cauliflower . . . once. Seems like I tried celery . . . once. I rationalize! Broccoli has move nutrients than cauliflower. I like celeriac and can grow par-cel, if I want to!

:rolleyes:

I lost the eggplant this year :/. It was a continual battle against the bugs; they won. Next year, either spinosad works, or I'll quit growing eggplant.

The plants have regrown their leaves and are flowering -- now! (Well, before this morning's frost.) I tried a couple of the fruits that somehow made it to size. They were terribly bitter!! Apparently, all the bug stress was the cause!

There was also Yellow Pear tomatoes that I grew for 4 years hoping each time that they wouldn't split . . . only to learn that wasn't possible in my garden.

Sometimes, I've been a little disappointed in some variety only to find that a replacement does worse!! Drop that one like a hot potato!!

Steve ;)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Too much bug damage will make eggplant bitter every time. I think the plant puts out something to protect itself when bug damage reaches a certain point and that's what makes it bitter. Just guesssing.

HLAC

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Cantaloupe.

Last year I only got one fruit, and about the time it started looking ripe...... My dog ate it.

This year I got several smallish fruits and they ripened and slipped and they smelled wonderful. They weren't the least bit sweet tho'. :(

Most anything else that I have difficulties with is due to the horrendous bug population here. Rabbits are pretty bad too. I had rabbits take out more than 30 pepper plants and eggplants and they hammered the beans.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I only got one fruit, and about the time it started looking ripe...... My dog ate it
:gig

Our dog used to eat blackberries. Darn thing was quick too!

You might want to try collective farm woman melon from baker creek. They mature faster than cantaloupe and are really tasty.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here is another one I am taking off the list. Corn. It is pathetic to say the least.

29708_baseman_045.jpg

And what do you think of my first and last watermelon?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come on- I call that a single serving watermelon! My melons last year, looked exactly like that. I added chicken poop over the winter and voila! Real, actual sized melons! Try it, you'll like it!

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine is melon of any kind! Two years ago, I planted nutmeg melon, and man did it produce!! but gradually before it was time to harvest them the melons would dissapear!! I put a live trap out to catch Harry, who I thought was a gopher, only to find that he was a GIGANTIC RAT!!! Bleh... soon after catching Harry, I also caught Harriet, then a few other monster rats and gave up on those melons. now we moved to 5 acres, far away from harry and harriet, and this years watermelon crop that my 3 year old was desperately looking forwad to, fell victim to gopher that burrowed through the bottom of the wine barrel to get to the fruit. Sheesh. we got one melon.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I totally failed at zucchini this year. (I didn't think it was *possible* to kill zucchini!)

And I have never, ever been able to grow lettuce from seed.

I have some red sails lettuce that I bought as seedlings that are doing pretty well, but the romaine I bought at the same time does not look *anything* like the romaine I get at the grocery store, and it's going to seed now anyway.