What Color

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I ordered my fountain, I had to pick from about 20 finishes/colors. Boy was that hard. I finally decided that I wanted it to have an italian look so I picked a terra cotta with darkish going through it. All black would make it look very parisian. It just depends on the look you want. Just remember that colors do fade over time. Mary you have photo of your fountain ?

By the way, I think white with gilded accents would look to garish. But that's just me.

Mary
Mary you have photo of your fountain ?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
lionfountain-jpg.6625

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always think of bronze starting out a darker brownish color patinaing to very dark brown / black. And copper starting out as ............. well ................... coppery red patinaing to the greens / blues w/ only small amounts of the darker (blackish) areas.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can use an artists' patina technique to look like metal. Start with a dark black/green base. You can get some tubes of artist's oil paint and thin it with terpentine or even linseed oil-not sure which would hold up best in the weather. Terpentine would give it would give a dull, aged, dry, sheen. When it is dry you rub in other colors on the high points of the piece. A touch of gold will make it look expensive. Don't use too much as it will like tacky. But you can experiment with different muted colors. A bit of green blended in would also look metallic. Check with you expert antiques friend as to the hues you should be aiming toward.

Latest posts