What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
One day last week, I did 80 ears of corn, blanched, cooled, removed from cob, bagged, frozen.

Most days now I'm blanching, cooling, bagging, freezing my green beans. Got three grocery bags of them in the fridge waiting for me.

The paste tomatoes are ripening fast...we blanch them, remove skins, quarter them, cook them down, and freeze them by the gallon. Then all winter we thaw two gallons at a time, make our sauce, and re-freeze it by the quart to use as needed. I've got a pot of tomatoes cooking down right now!

Plan to do pickles Friday.

My job really gets in the way of the important things in life!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Monday, I did 14 cups of frozen pumpkin. I am soooo looking forward to pumpkin pies and pumpkin bread!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't got a chance to can a thing yet, but my boy (22 yr. old) has tried his hand at it for the first time. With a little coaching over the phone from my mother, he is canning up all my tomatoes for me and freezing the corn. Love that boy! In between canning he has organized and cleaned all my cabinets, cleaned the house, keeps the laundry done up and cooks supper. Its like having a maid who WILL do windows! I'm loving this! :D

Been working a lot of extra hours lately, so I will be giving him some recompense for all this additional labor. Don't normally pay my kids for chores, but anything over and beyond, completely unsolicited, deserves something more than a hug and a pat on the back, don't you think? :bouquet

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I canned my first quart of roma tomatoes and another 6 pints of bread and butter pickles.

ml

Leafing Out
Reaction score
34 pints of black berry Jelly
2 quarts of black berry Jelly
6 pints of peach Jam
4 pints of blue berry Jam
3 pints of raspberry Jelly

berry season is about done here.

ML

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lots and lots of blackberries frozen and then bagged for desserts and smoothies and fruit salads in winter. Need to get going on blackberry jelly and elderberry jelly, then pickled beans and frozen beans!

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okra is comming on good now, I put 5 quarts in the freezer today, that makes a total of 15 and still pickin.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
6 qrt. jars of blackberries for pie filling. When the time comes, I'll just add sugar to taste and minute tapioca to the jarred berries, put in a pie shell, dot with butter and top with a lattice crust.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Monday & Tuesday, my DH and I (yes, my DH helped :lol: ) canned 20 pints of pear butter. I reserved some of the puree to make a Gingered Fresh Pear Cake. I think I will also slice some pears for the dehydrator.

Latest posts