What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made Chili sauce and Salsa. Today I'm cooking down tomatoes for tomato paste.
By the way I puree my tomatoes whole in the blender and then add them to the pot to make sauce or paste. Just wash, cut up into pieces small enough for the blender to handle, puree and pour into the pot.
No boiling, burning your fingers peeling, chopping slippery tomatoes and all that. For sauce I also put the peppers and onions into the blender. Works like a charm and the sauce comes out great.
Small tomatoes are great for this. I just leave the blender running on puree and drop the little tomatoes into the small opening.

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Got a bushel of "blemished" tomatoes at the growers market on Sunday for $9.00. This week I am turning it all into sauce. Also a bushel of Macintosh apples for $12.00. They are turning into dried apple rings this week. If I get it all done I'll get another bushel of apples this weekend and start on the applesauce next week.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I dehydrated 2- five gallon buckets of apples given to me. Delicious! I like them crispy like chips. Also froze enough apples for a half dozen pies. Not much left after a good freeze. Only swiss chard, kale, brussels sprouts and rutabagas and green onions. Whew! I guess I have more to do!:tools

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow you all have been busy!

I'm gonna do some pickled beets today!

Edit: I DID do them...though by the picture, they look more like pickled onions with beet juice!
I used Alton Brown's refrigerator beet recipe...hope they turn out okay.

5648_pickledbeets.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just finished doing 6 quarts of actually not very good Northern Spy apples. I still have about 10-15 lbs left and I don't know whether i'm going to bother to can them as the quality was unimpressive, may just cook n freeze or make applesauce. Dunno why they're so lousy this eyar.

Pat

thedeacon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You guys make me sick. When I got up today is was 7 below zero with a wind chill of -28.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, this was a couple of months ago, but me and my daughters made Mulberry Jam...Yum!

My tree is so prolific!
mulberry2.jpg

The harvest
mulb1.jpg

Teaching my 10-yr-old to use a colander (She KNOWS where food comes from)
mulb4.jpg

mulb5.jpg

mulb8.jpg

mulb11.jpg

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I really like your labels, do you make them yourself? If so what program do you use? OH and that jam looks good too.
Nancy

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
I really like your labels, do you make them yourself? If so what program do you use? OH and that jam looks good too.
Nancy
I found some free wine labels online and I can't seem to find them now:(

I got them off the internet for free though.

Try searching free wine labels or similar. I'll keep trying and if I find them, I will post up the link.

Latest posts