What Did You Cook and Eat From Your Garden Today?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had that pumpkin pasta casserole yesterday but also cut up and baked this:

img_20150820_062934025-jpg.8970

The picture first appeared in @catjac1975 's "show off your pumpkins" thread, here: LINK (There is a later picture of it after frost killed the vine during the last days of September ...)

The yield from this winter squash was 19.5# of pulp! I'm waiting right now for a couple of pies to bake and have just finished my 2nd breakfast, this time with pumpkin (squash) pancakes :).

Steve
Is that as big as it looks? Is that a Lacota? Pie ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I should have weighed it before I turned it into an ingredient.

It doesn't have the same coloring as the La Madera squash in 2014 but the seed for this year's plants came from one of them. Guessing but I think that seed was from a cross with Autumn Crown but that still wouldn't be the right color. Autumn Crown is a hybrid, however. So, who knows what genes are in that!

Before going in the food processor, the pulp was a bit stringy but tasty. The La Madera was that way last year but had to be about the sweetest squash I've ever eaten! The pie is for after dinner. I'm sure it's fine - sure made the house smell good :)!

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I should have weighed it before I turned it into an ingredient.

It doesn't have the same coloring as the La Madera squash in 2014 but the seed for this year's plants came from one of them. Guessing but I think that seed was from a cross with Autumn Crown but that still wouldn't be the right color. Autumn Crown is a hybrid, however. So, who knows what genes are in that!

Before going in the food processor, the pulp was a bit stringy but tasty. The La Madera was that way last year but had to be about the sweetest squash I've ever eaten! The pie is for after dinner. I'm sure it's fine - sure made the house smell good :)!

Steve
The Rumbo squash that I am always talking about have that spaghetti squash texture too. Also so sweet. Great as a roasted vegetable and the best pie squash. You are brave saving seed. I always get squmkins when I have saved seed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah but @catjac1975 , these are C. maxima squash.

They won't cross with those promiscuous pumpkins and zucchini.

I'd hoped that I could identify Buttercup characteristics but they didn't show up. The La Madera plants in 2014 had variable fruit - landrace, perhaps. The gene pool is deepening and they were out there with two varieties of Buttercup this year ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about your golden beets?

Are they Burpee Golden which had a terrible germination rate for me (and others).

Or, are they Yellowstone Beets which has done fine? There is another yellow beet variety, I think.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about your golden beets?

Are they Burpee Golden which had a terrible germination rate for me (and others).

Or, are they Yellowstone Beets which has done fine? There is another yellow beet variety, I think.
Steve

they are "boldor" from johnnys the germination rate has varied for us sometimes great and others soso. seems late summer they do better for us.

Latest posts