What Did You Do In The Garden?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I am not impressed at all with my spineless zucchini. First of all it has spines! The production is also terrible, very low. Alas, the search continues for a truly spineless squash....
Have you ever tried Tromboncino (a.k.a. Zucchetta Rampicante)? Not a true zucchini (it is related to Butternut squash), but a very good summer squash, if you have room for the long vines. Doesn't really have spines, or not so I've noticed... none of the arm rash I used to get from zucchini. The very long squash are seedless for 90% of their length. The vines are also highly resistant to SVB, which is the main reason it has replaced zucchini in my garden.

Tromboncino starts out slow, but roots everywhere the vines touch the ground... and in late summer (like right now) the vines begin producing like crazy. I freeze enough to last all winter. I'd post a photo, but don't know how to do that now that PB no longer allows links.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the beans I've grown for dry seed or shellies are ripening now; probably have 10-15 pounds of dry seed so far. The pole shellies (King Horticultural and Bird Egg #3) are beginning to drop their leaves, exposing the bright red pods. The pole lima in my home garden (Berrier's #2) is producing heavily now, bright scarlet beans w/maroon speckles. Four of the soybean varieties have dried down & been brought indoors to dry. DW loves to shell out dry beans of all kinds, she's having a blast right now.

I trapped the rodents that were eating my tomatoes & starting to harvest two of the remaining soybeans; 4 voles had actually built nests under the foliage. Beginning to ferment tomato seed for seed saving. Some of the peppers are beginning to turn, was able to harvest a few ripe jalapenos for seed. This variety failed to ripen in 3 previous attempts, so I'm really glad to finally get fresh seed to replace my old stock.

Our extended heat wave has caused the first sweet corn planting to ripen, will be processing it in a couple days... as soon as I fix the AC, which waited until now to break. :barnie Either that, or I'll be cooking outside with the camp stove.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary what is hedge in background ? Nice and dense looks like prefect for privacy. Cat every now and then, I think wait till I tell mom she is gone 8 years Nov.
It's bamboo, the clumping type. But I still used a bamboo barrier. I trim it back every once in awhile. Bamboo gets a bad rap but I've had it for 20 years with no problem.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
You will get better. My parents are gone 17 and 15 years. Just recently I was reaching for the phone to call my Mom for just a second.

My dad has been gone 32 years and my mother 13. When something important happens I tell certain people and always have a feeling I need to tell somebody else and I realize it is my mother.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Zeedman, I am DEFINITELY trying tromboncino next year! Thanks! I cannot plant any squash early bc of some SVB that I am Sure I brought to my garden from plants that I bought.
@Nyboy, I can guarantee you that most things that grow in @ninnymary 's back yard wont survive a NE winter!!! Can't tell you how many people in my neck of the woods want to grow things like Crepe Myrtle only to watch them choke and die in February.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman , coyotes are now-and-then visitors to the big veggie garden.

I have noticed coyote tracks and vole borrows dug out on two occasions. The holes, quite economically dug, were the first I learned of the voles' location. However, I've found them under the tomato plants at other times. It seems to be a favorite location.

With all your rain this year and, maybe, because your voles know how to build burrows safe from flooding - this may not work for you. I have successfully flooded out voles leaving a trickle of water for an hour or so at the burrow entrance.

Steve

Latest posts