What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe you people eat flint corn. Dent corn is so much better...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, Seed, if I'm looking at an ear of corn that has just been shucked but is not dry yet, how do I tell if it's flint or dent.(I get that "dent" corn has a dent in it ).

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
There u go. Easy, Peasy as my aunt would say.

You people are people that like flint corn-gritty corn bread. I'm a dent person-more smooth like cake.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There u go. Easy, Peasy as my aunt would say.

You people are people that like flint corn-gritty corn bread. I'm a dent person-more smooth like cake.

When I want cake, I eat cake. Preferably chocolate.
When I want cornbread I don't want to mistake it for dessert, I like it hearty and substantial, like northern people. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
He calls it a "flour corn" and differentiates it from flint corn.

I don't know beans about corn but somehow it sounds different, referred to as "soft flour."

Here's a link to the developer's ideas on his pretty and flavorful corn.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
He calls it a "flour corn" and differentiates it from flint corn.

I don't know beans about corn but somehow it sounds different, referred to as "soft flour."

Here's a link to the developer's ideas on his pretty and flavorful corn.

Steve

Thanks Steve,I knew I had read that at some point. So it's not a flint, it's a flour like I had thought.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to cause arguments but Indian corn is "flint corn". It doesn't dent. It has a hard starch layer around the soft starch layer. Mr. Christensen may have bred for a larger % of soft starch-to that I don't know. The most famous of flints are popcorn and Hominy corns. All corn grinds up fine depending upon screens used and grinding time. Popcorn has a very larger % of hard starch while hominy corns do not.

The farther north you go, the more flint breeding is used. Farther south, more dent breeding. Iowa has their own classification of Iodent-cross between flint/dent-has more of a dimple.

Cornbread made with dents just doesn't have that "gritty" texture. Any flavor difference is in the % of sugar-the most famous dent is sweet corn.