What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy ,

I think the best "advantage" I have, both for getting out for early cultivation and putting in the dahlias early --- the gravelly soil.

It doesn't hold moisture well. Supposedly, there is one of the "fastest moving" aquifers around, under my feet. So, the dahlia roots don't sit in soggy, cold ground.

The little dahlia garden is in full sun just about all day. I didn't show up with a thermometer yesterday but this morning, from the comfort of my lazyboy, ;) I checked 3 of the closer ag sites. At 8" into the ground, the temperatures are listed at 48°, 49° and 50°. I bet that the soil in that garden is now over 50°; so, the roots are in about the same conditions as they were in their peat moss, in a basement room at 55°.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday DS and I made 3 trips to the dump and today I loaded old shingles from the rabbit hutch we tore down into the truck to take to the dump. I took the plastic off the bottom of the rabbit hutch and bought some burlap to put on the end of the hutch to block sun on the end of the hutch. The trees have no leaves to give shade yet. I fertilized all the plants in the greenhouse and I transplanted the last of the peppers. I have a few kale and collards to transplant tomorrow. I am getting in shape, but sore.
Doesn't it feel good when you go to the dump!, haha. You come back and look at the nice clean area that you just did. I bet 3 loads made a big difference. I love to see all the clutter and mess gone!

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just up-potted some tomatoes, squashes and rice peas from the starter boxes into SOLO cups. Waiting... waiting... waiting.... come ON warm weather!!
starts uppotted 4.26.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
North Pasture is now burdock free!!!!! :weee:weee:weee
I hooked up my tow wagon to the John Deere riding mower and it took 3 loads to clear the burdock. I also pulled and picked up stocks from other weeds taking advantage of the fenceline with my neighbor who seems to not realize what was growing there. Still, I hadn't cleaned it up and my former neighbors, good friends, never complained about them.
All burned up and gone!!
I was VERY CAREFUL. Fortunately high in the low 50's yesterday with a stiff breeze. I wore old, heavy jeans, my cowboy boots, a t shirt covered by a cotton long sleeved (old men's dress) shirt and then I wore my rayon ski jacket minus the liner, plus new goatskin/cotton topped gloves. I was a little bit warm, but the dress AND the safety glasses shielded me very well. I only have a couple of welts on my jaw where I must have rubbed, but Benydril cream care of that. I washed everything that I had on inCLUDING the gloves. Surprisingly the gloves that I had used last time and threw in the washer were still wearable.
I PROMISE pictures this weekend. The only parts left to clear are saplings that need taken down along the street. I will be cutting down the trees on the outside of the west fencing. ANYBODY who has property ajacent to a farmer's field knows that if you let them, they will plant right next to you, so it is best to let trees grow up there, chop them down and let the stumps grow new branches, so those will be cut in the next few months and piled up for my Salsa Party in October. IF there is any burdock next to my burn pile I will pick them this weekend bc we plan to torch it.
I only have one place to clear burdock, which is the south yard next to my very good neighbor who never complains about ANYTHING I do, even if it seems unusual.
Hoping for the money to pull down the old cattle fencing that divides our yards and lines the street and put up an open, wooden fence, 2 rail "faux" horse fencing and plant perennials there. THAT is for another month. :D

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doesn't it feel good when you go to the dump!, haha. You come back and look at the nice clean area that you just did. I bet 3 loads made a big difference. I love to see all the clutter and mess gone!

Mary

Yes, lol. Truck is full of shingles now waiting to go with another load.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have all the tomatoes, peppers, kale and collards transplanted, and the new tomatoes and peppers I just started are up and have been out in the greenhouse during the day and look strong. The plants are starting to grow now with the few days of sun we had. I have lettuce, mustard and spinach almost big enough to harvest a little. I have arugula, Swiss chard, radishes and a few other things coming up in pots on the patio. Still too cold in the garden to do anything. Rained today and as soon as it warms back up going for a load of cow manure.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted 4th row of sweet corn, another row of peas and beets, short row of green beans-Roma & tenderrette. Started Hills of cucumbers, yellow watermelons, honeydew and regular butternut squash.

@ninnymary I also started 4 hills of the honeynut butternut squash seed you sent.

If anyone wants any yellow watermelon ice box size seed, let me know.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted 4th row of sweet corn, another row of peas and beets, short row of green beans-Roma & tenderrette. Started Hills of cucumbers, yellow watermelons, honeydew and regular butternut squash.

@ninnymary I also started 4 hills of the honeynut butternut squash seed you sent.

If anyone wants any yellow watermelon ice box size seed, let me know.
Good luck with yours. Mine are frozen in time.

Mary

Latest posts