What Did You Do In The Garden?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' the back issue this time is not the like in the past where it was like a blowout. This time it up higher on lower back and kind of just a nagging discomfort mostly until I start bending and using it then it painful to get upright again. I Been doing some stretching in morning I think it may help somewhat. I think I am more worried of putting to much on it and having the blowout that puts me totally out of commission for awhile. I have had sciatica before and lucky the swelling in the disc went down and the nerve got back to normal in about nine months time. This is not on the level of that kind of pain and I hope it don’t go there ever. I just have to rethink the amount of things that can get done at this lowered velocity, until it heals up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
All that can change because of health. "Doing the best I can" is what I am up to and all I think you should be up to :).

yep, we do what we can, but the back does need movement to be nourished so even if there is some pain you still gotta move.

worst mistake a lot of people make is that they stop moving for too long to give back time to heal, yes, you can give it a few days to recover, but after that you really do need to somehow move it again.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
18 months into this new property with lots to do. So much shade in back accounted for a miserable garden last year so my tomato plants are waiting on the sidelines for a better spot. Going to try the west side of the house. Nice and sunny afternoons with the heat of the afternoon sun. I have husky cherry, early girl, better boy and mortgage lifter tomatoes. The latter being a new one for me to grow. I harvested last year's garlic and weeded all the flower beds. 20 bags of mulch and 10 of garden soil still waiting for my attention. :)

welcome :) i'm not sure by your comment if you just said you harvested your garlic this spring? i do that for green garlic, yet for the bulbs i leave those for quite a bit longer...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Got the last patch of burdock today, but I will need to rake up the needles and other weeds there. It's under some pine trees and I am the only one that plays there, so I will finish it in drips and drabs in the next few weeks. Found several thistles and seeds. I piled them up but we had a wind day burn warning today, so I have to wait until the weekend to do that. Maybe, Sunday. I have hired the 13yo boy across the street to help me move wood, weeds and debris. He had done odd jobs for me in the past and has very good work ethic, even detasseling corn for several years, a VERY labor intensive job, put it pays well. I pay him $10/hr.
I want to saw up the 2yo limb that we DIDN'T burn at my party--severely high winds that day, too--and move out the smaller limbs from the trees on the west fence along the farmer's fields. It is counterproductive to remove those saplings and small trees. Farmers are notorious for taking inches and feet and will break your fencing, so the stumps serve the purpose of keeping them away from the fencing. I will have a nice burn pile in the north pasture for my Salsa Party in October, and they can dry out all summer and I should have a lovely stack of firewood for my firepit by Sunday evening, and I have invited his family and are former next door neighbors over for a nice fire and hamburgers and hotdogs for the evening

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I injured my back at work a couple weeks ago and tings have been on slow speed ever since then. The vegetable starts are growing like crazy, all have been up potted for awhile and growing fast. Also started the garden fence but had to stop To cut down a 110’ cottonwood tree that was leaning the wrong way and needed to be removed first. With the back situation it has been a uphill battle with the tree I fell it and have most of it cleaned up and burned. I kept a 55’ log from it to use in the garden as a terrace. Not sure how I am going to get it there though. It’s been pretty tough going with my back and trying to save it for work days. DW back also been out for about a month she has all her gardening jobs plus taking care of grandson 3 days a week. I hope we start getting better soon or the garden season will be a disaster. I think I will take some heavy equipment home next weekend and try to get some of my jobs caught up on. Garden time is here so no time for health issues to spoil our favorite time of year:
I have to be careful of my back. I tend to garden until I almost drop. I had a real bad back injury years ago and need to be careful. My DIL is a physical therapist and gave me some exercises and stretches to do. I have been doing the stretches in a hot bath and it is like a miracle.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With 2 days of working in the big garden, I have a start to the season even though little has been planted.

Two beds have been prepped for the onions. The irrigation district hasn't turned on the water so they wait at home. Four different varieties of potatoes have been planted.

There are two locations with dahlias again this year and all the roots were carried up from the basement and have gone into the soil.

I'd like to be further along but there was quite a wait for the tractor guy. Phenologically speaking ;), we usually show up in the big veggie garden as the wild plum begins to bloom, there to north. The soil is usually still moist from spring rain.

It is not really so this year. That garden has been mostly missed by the recent storms and nearly all the blossoms have dropped from the tree. We have turned on the water before the water district guys have arrived in prior years. I don't know what they think about that but soon I will be checking with the property owner about doing it again.

Pea seed can be planted and we can get to that! First, there are lots of plants to move around the backyard and more of that to do tomorrow -- all on the way to hardening off the plants for their 2018 garden debut.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to be careful of my back. I tend to garden until I almost drop. I had a real bad back injury years ago and need to be careful. My DIL is a physical therapist and gave me some exercises and stretches to do. I have been doing the stretches in a hot bath and it is like a miracle.

that is how i am too, once i get going until i can't hardly move. i'm trying to relearn this so i'm not quite so wiped out, to pace myself, to even sit still for a while and watch and listen while i'm out there. wind-chimes, birds, bees and other bugs around. always something interesting. i may even surprise myself and sit on a bench sometime this season. :) ground pillows are more comfy...

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been tilling the garden little by little after work this week, if I can. Should finish on Saturday and plant potatoes and peas on Sunday :fl. It has not been to bad on my back doing it piece meal like that. The berry patch needs weeding pretty badly, but neither DW or o feel up to bending over for long enuf to do it, maybe next week. Ready or not it’s garden time:weee

Latest posts