What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The garden is starting to grow nicely. The last few nights I have just been hoeing weeds and fine tuning the soaker system. The bush beans are disappointing I thinking of turning the soil and replanting . The broccoli is just about ready to start harvesting, the carrots finally came up and have a ways to go yet before they are strong growers. The corn is about 6”-8” tall and growing fast ,so are the potatoes. Also thinned the kohlrabi and started on the black Spanish radishes. Going to keep fighting the weeds until the garden gets a little bigger then we will straw mulch it , and that will cut back on the weeding big time .

if the plants are just small but otherwise ok, i'd leave them be as it would take some time to get back to where you are now with them. what kind of beans? :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
put down carpet in shed, planted, weeded, picked gravel out of garden i was planting, admired the garlic, watered, picked strawberries, checked out bean sprouts, tried to take some pictures, camera battery drained so had to recharge it, updated garden maps...

going to be a much easier day today (working in mostly sandy soil instead of the heavier clay soil), just have to mash some berries and see how many pints of jam i can make and then do that, make selections for planting and then get out and plant whatever i can in the remaining fenced gardens. i have one tiny row to put in one garden and then the large tulip garden and the smaller corner tulip garden and i'll be done. except now i'm thinking i should plant the failed strawberry patch too. so that would be a bonus spot this year. i guess i should since i have to weed it anyways...

the worm farm is mostly migrating out to the gardens, i've been keeping most of the buckets of worms for the two gardens that are left inside the fence because the soil in them is so poor it needs the most of a boost i can give it. i'm also thinking of moving some of the garden soil from a garden i planted a few days ago as it has plenty of clay but is also pretty good other than that, so to trade a bucket of sand here or there for a bucket of clay. except my right arm and right knee are very unhappy with me right now so i may have to wait on that until later this summer (hahaha, right) or do it in very small amounts at a time. i really don't need that much clay to make a big difference so that may be the best way to go, just put some in the spaces where i'm putting the worms and the beans are being planted...

scouping out worm buckets is kinda fun because i get to see what a year's results have brought from vegetable, paper and whatever else scraps i can get in there, but also just to see them wriggling around and to say hello and thank you for all they do for me in the gardens.

if the weather keeps cooperating i can get all of this done before Sunday and then move on to weeding and planting outside the fenced area bonus/auxilary gardens. where i plant my bulk beans that may or may not get eaten by other creatures. to me they are much more fun gardens because they have diversity and i can see what will happen when i try different combinations of plantings. i ate some fresh dill out of one yesterday that was absolutely perfect, crunchy, delicious, juicy. the deer love those gardens too, they've eaten almost all the strawberries they can find, but the weeds hid some for me. a lot of wabbies around too.

whew, this is long. lol oh well, it's a busy time of the season. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think maps are important and used to rely on them. Now, the first few visits to the garden each year are kinda ridiculous, as DW and I try to remember where things were planted 6 months prior. Hours wasted!

@Collector , here -- the broccoli set little buds very early, we ate some for dinner last night. It must have been the up and down May temperatures.

Using the regular Packman variety as in years' past. I'm gonna do what I have when bunnies ate all the leaves off them, one spring: hope for and expect something in the fall from the plants, keeping buds and bugs off them through the summer instead of pulling and replacing with zucchini. The broccoli didn't disappoint me as big plants and a fall crop.

The Jade bush beans look yellow and a pest (maybe voles?) have been eating leaves off the seedlings. It's a good thing that the seeds went in with plans for thinning. I've put composted chicken manure around them. Don't always feel that is necessary.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted marigolds and zinnias in my son's garden...just a few more zinnias over there and I'll be done. Need to plant more into trays and hope they get big enough, soon enough, to make a difference in the gardens.

For all intents and purposes his little front yard garden is now planted. He has Red Pontiac spuds planted in the middle, some sweet Candy onions, Crimson Sweet watermelons, hot peppers, sweet peppers, yellow squash, half runner beans, green onions, chives, strawberries, garlic, clematis, honeysuckle, D'Oro Lilys, marigolds, zinnias, and impatiens.

Can't wait to see it all leafing out and filling in all the spaces!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted 4 more rows of sweet corn plus some butternut squash. Have one row empty but not sure what to plant there.

beans :) (did anyone think i'd say anything different? :) ) ok, as for other suggestions, buckwheat, turnips, cosmos, buttercup squash, oats...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:barnie:barnie:barniePreparation ONLY yesterday !!! I had to dig down and cut saplings on the fenceline and cut and saw, saw saw on a maple TREE, not sapling, growing along my garden fenceline!!! :barnie:barnie:barnieIt took up my whole afternoon, and THEN the stupid weed sprayer applicator wasn't working right!!!! :barnie:barnie:barnie I took the container and poured it directly, full strength on the maple tree since it was growing RIGHT NEXT to my fence post. I tilled the compost that I had placed on the drip line and the cardboard is waiting to be placed down and covered with compost.
On a good note, all tomatoes look good, but I had to super soak them yesterday. Today is for planting bc we are expecting on and off rain through Monday. DH wants: tomatoes and okra this year. 2017 was kind of a washout on both.
I got a great deal last week on reciprocating saw blades, which ended up being about 50 cents each. I bought 3 six packs, so 18 brand new blades.
If you don't own a reciprocating saw, get one. I used my chain saw a month ago and SURE ENOUGH, as usual, the chain came off. I can use my r. saw on practically anything and just change the blades when necessary. Even one of the panelists on Mid American gardener finally discovered how easy it is to prune with one.
Off to garden...before the rain. Report and PICTURES later...:cool:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Planted 4 more rows of sweet corn plus some butternut squash. Have one row empty but not sure what to plant there.
Two thoughts---cover the bed with cardboard OR rugs OR old curtains until you know what you want to do. I did this last year and it suppressed all growth so I didn't have to weed it when I needed it.
Next, look in your seed collection. You probably have seed packages that might be from 2017 or older. Heavily seed this bed with flowers, etc. If you really like them you could transplant them later to another spot, but if you don't care too much THEY will be MUCH easier to pull out than nasty weeds with very long roots that will want to grow back in this bed.
Just some FYI, hope it helps!

Latest posts