What Did You Do In The Garden?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The peppers have staged a riot, with all the plants producing tons of peppers and bloom....but just too late, I'm afraid. I gathered the biggest peppers but the frosts will get the rest. Had a killing frost this morning that took out flowers and some garden things.

So, picked peppers and gathered what few spuds there were in different places....even had a decent little dab of spuds from the two pieces of tater I planted in our old commode...you can see those on top of my peppers in the pic below.

100_1069.JPG

Those started out in the commode....

100_0705.JPG

And will end up in a commode! Oh, the irony! :D

Took a pic of my giant lemon balm. I had planted that thing on one corner of my garden bench, not thinking it would get in the way much...and the first year it didn't. Then I added hay to the garden and it LOVES it.

100_1068.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I guess the compost made them grow SO WELL that they grew LOOOOONNNNGGG roots and didn't fatten up. Gotta try something different next year. Think I will use my vegetable brush and super clean them, then cook, then mash and make some pies!
Since my cats cleaned out the rats 2 years ago that were digging routes underneath the chicken coop and out of reach, I haven't seen a single mouse in our around my crops. NOT A CAT LADY...just own 7.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ahh, it wasn't raining today and so i was able to get out and work on the small strawberry patch inside the fenced garden. it needed one part to be brought down and another part raised up so i dug out, moved dirt, moved dirt back on top, transplanted plants and had a grand ol' time. :) i was only going out to bury bean plants in there and do some weeding, but while i was there... hahahaha. i needed the exercise and it felt good to move. i may be able to finish it tomorrow.

having the hill leveled off will make picking strawberries much easier.

now i'll be curious to see how many transplants survive. it's not quite as late as what i did last year, but it's a bit later than i'd like to move them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was able to do some burying of compostables today, too ;). Finished filling the next-to-last bed with plants and soil. Dug the last bed to be done this way, tossed in the compostables, including some from far and wide! Covered it with soil.

Hauled all the boards out of that garden. There are more weeds to kill, of the perennial persuasion, but as I told DW, I don't really have to go back. Want to.

There are the three veggie beds behind the greenhouse that are not quite clear. The flower beds in front of the house should have every plant (except the tree and rose) cut to near the soil surface. Then, I can mow the front lawn again. Already have half the back lawn mowed.

Oh yeah! Carried the gladiolas in their shavings, down to the basement. So, there is next to no more work to be done on the lawn anywhere so I can mow. Can't hardly believe it but 18 days have passed since I mowed that part. Doesn't look bad - a little beaten down. Frost on it every morning.

I'd really like to run sprinklers one more time.

Steve

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This weekend I harvested the last Sarpo Mira potatoes, and got spooked by toads a few times. They were snuggled up between the potatoes in the nice loose soil. Found one really big tater, at least 8" long. Also took out a giant beet from what was supposed to be swiss chard. That's what you get when you save your own seeds and have beet and chard blooming at the same time, oops! Let's hope it tastes great.

Also harvested dry beans for seed saving, by now I got seeds from all but one. We got another week of mild weather ahead so fingers crossed!

20181020_190420.jpg
IMG-20181020-WA0003.jpeg
20181020_134738.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend I harvested the last Sarpo Mira potatoes, and got spooked by toads a few times. They were snuggled up between the potatoes in the nice loose soil. Found one really big tater, at least 8" long. Also took out a giant beet from what was supposed to be swiss chard. That's what you get when you save your own seeds and have beet and chard blooming at the same time, oops! Let's hope it tastes great.

Also harvested dry beans for seed saving, by now I got seeds from all but one. We got another week of mild weather ahead so fingers crossed!

View attachment 28844 View attachment 28845 View attachment 28846

awww! cute toad! :) little guy is wondering why you woke him up already... :)

last week i saw a toad about that size hopping across the gravel probably also looking for a place to snuggle down for the winter. it's been a long time since i've seen any big toads here.

Latest posts