What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Covering material with soil does hasten the decomp. I leave on top for 2 reasons, the mulch keeps the ground temp/moisture more stable and worms will eat 80% of it by spring. (Side note-I accused wife of burning it and she swore she didn’t. Later I discovered the worms under mulch.). Second, bare ground is more vulnerable to erosion from wind, rain and sun. Could plant a cover crop, SHOULD plant but haven’t so far....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, are yo so dry in the winter that the organic matter won't break down that well if it is left on top? If it is turned under it probably has better access to moisture.

Seed, another reason I like to leave mulch on top until Spring is that it suppresses the first weeds of spring. The ground is much easier to prepare for planting if weeds and grasses haven't taken over, especially when you are preparing it by hand or tiller instead of heavy machinery that turns it under. I hate grass in the garden. A downside of doing that is that the mulch can keep the soil moister longer and in the spring in Arkansas I was often looking for dry spells to plant early stuff, not waiting on warm weather. As we just discussed in another thread walking on wet soil is not a good thing to do, sometimes I had to rake the mulch off to get it dry enough to prepare for planting. Trade-offs, always trade-offs. I've yet to see how I handle it down here with my raised beds.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I waded out to the garden today to pick some spinach and baby kale for a salad. The beans are trying to come up. At least they are not in wet cold ground. Just wet. We are supposed to have two actual dry days in a row, so maybe I can get something done regarding weeds.
My future garden fertilizer producers had to be moved to a larger box today. One little nugget is trying to jump out already. Actually, it's the biggest nugget. They survived being visited by 4 grandkids at once, so I think they are ready for anything.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, are yo so dry in the winter that the organic matter won't break down that well if it is left on top? If it is turned under it probably has better access to moisture.
That's pretty much it, Ridge'.

Annual precipitation is less than 20" and much of that is winter snowfall. The snow came late and plant stubble would have been dust. And in my big garden, whatever isn't attached to the soil would blow away.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
weeding and repairing damage from deer.

i had put clumps of divided creeping thyme along the edge of the North Garden and the deer decided to use that ridge as a highway a few nights ago and trampled it.

i had to weed along that edge yesterday before the weeds started dropping seeds or taking over. the main plantings of the thyme are holding up pretty well and i'm glad for that as it does make a very nice low growing edge plant.

Germander Speedwell has such a pretty blue flower but it is a horrible weed - as i'm nosing around the web i see there are several kinds of speedwell that have those tiny blue flowers. ugh! i'm sure we have all of them and then some. i spend a lot of time trying to eradicate it. as it is in then grassy lawn too i won't ever be able to get rid of it without removing that lawn i can just try to keep it from taking over. it reacts badly with me when i try to pull it. not sure what the chemical it is but my nose starts pouring when i disturb it. like sow-thistle it is the kill on sight weed if i have the time/energy for it.

if i did not react with it so badly i'd leave it alone (i would rather have something growing in a space than bare dirt). trying to keep it weeded out of the creeping thyme is a real challenge. the plants can be so incredibly tiny that i have my glasses off and my face a few inches from the plants i'm weeding (which puts my nose very close to the plants too). one of those situations where i find it interesting to see how they can possibly grow together with the thyme. i use a rather dull bladed knife to tease it out if i can. i know i'm missing some of them, but at least it keeps them from having a free reign...

the buckwheat is sprouting. that is the sign that early beans can go in if i'm lucky enough to avoid frosts... we're getting into the 25-0% risk of frost range in the next week, but frosts can still happen - i don't have enough of some seeds to risk more than a few. waiting another week is probably a good idea. hmm... :)

the peas did sprout. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great day. BigR had 4 plants per container for $.69. Bought my tomatoes, most of peppers, and red cabbage. Didn’t have eggplant, regular cabbage or certain peppers.

Then rest of day was perfect so plants went into garden along with some Chinese cabbage I started. Planted okra, Roma II & tenderette green beans, spinach & started some banana peppers in garden.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I cleared my raised bed of kale, mustard greens, spring onions, and bok choy that had gone to seed. Then amended with worm castings and compost. Seemed like that took forever. Then I direct sowed seeds of radishes, Joi Choi, orache, swiss chard, and carrots. Also planted a pepper, borage, and kale starts. Surprised my back was hurting after that!

Mary

Latest posts