What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ya know, EVERYBODY Should own a chain saw, but working at DD's it got caught in some landscape fabric that somebody had put down a long time, thinking it was a great idea. I had to take it apart to clean the chain. Right now, my chain saw needs to have the chain put back on. MEANwhile, my reciprocating saw keeps plugging along.
Good news, though...I was going to take a 5 inch thick sapling down to the ground where I am restoring the fence that separates us from our neighbor, but I looked at it before I left, and, since I had sawed it down to about 4 ft tall, I'm gonna leave it to hold up the fence there. It happens to be in the just the right place. I'll poison it next year.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I couldnt do much today. Had to take mum to an appointment and then when we got back the sky had opened up again along with the thunder and lightening.
Had a quick peek at everything and noticed that some of my Butternut seedlings have come up after all, so all is not lost.
The Globe Artichokes I planted out are still looking good.

I have some Sorghum seeds in a sprouting dish to see if it will actually grow- I've got tired of using my seedling mix only to find the seed was too old and didnt come up, or went moldy instead.
One lot have started to sprout so these need to be carefully potted up and I really do need to hurry up now getting the next bed up and running, I have white onions that will need to go out soon. Might have been a bit late in sowing them, but they should still grow to a reasonable size before winter sets in. I quite like smaller onions anyway so thats not a big deal.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a couple of inches of snow on the ground, but I did peek under the mulch a few days ago, and my garlic has sprouted. I put all of the houseplants in the bathtub and turned the shower on them for a few minutes to knock the dust off and give them a good drink. The ginger root I planted a couple of months ago has finally sprouted. I have the top off a pineapple to try and start next.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today, during a lull in the rain, I went out to check things out to find my tomatoes looked like they had the start of blight. I havent seen that before this early in the season and put it down to the warm temps and all this rain we are experiencing.
I got my secateurs and starting from the closest plants, cut off all the blotchy leaves, all the flowers and immature fruit, along with all laterals. Hopefully, I might get some fruit off them still.
Its been a really rainy spring and summer so far. If it was cold, I'd think it was winter again.

Potted up the Sorghum too.
Also came home from grocery shopping with a couple of Chinese-going by their name tag- Eggplants. These were really tall cos I got the tallest I could find, trimmed off the leaves and sprouts and planted them both up to their necks. They should put out roots along the stalk. I was quite surprised to see them at that shop, not something you normally find there. Maybe people are starting to get more adventurous now.

The last pea plant got cut off and is now hanging up to dry for next years seed.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
December 26th, 2019, 56F, sunny, a bit of a breeze but not too bad. we got back about 1:30 and it was so nice out i had a snack and then went out to weed the North garden. it took a hair less than one hour with the stirrup hoe. mostly mud, frozen down about 5 inches, but the top was wet and unfrozen enough to get the hoe through it. mostly i was trying to knock back the grass and mouse-eared chickweed that was sprouting. a lot of deer tracks in there, but nothing there for them to eat but a few strawberry plants. the comfrey had all died back.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got my ancient Stihl MM55 yardboss out and we walked the yard with the dethatcher tines spinning. I guess some grass seeding and weed control is next. Happily, I had the forethought to prepare some post holiday ribs for the BBQ and they require my attention right now...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Super warm, but I couldn't get to my big, long, warm winter day list. I Did take the bent metal fence post out. UNfortunately it broke below the ground, but this is the fence that separates us from the neighbor's yard and I have plenty of others stacked up nearby for this project. I am fixing the old cattle fencing to keep Eva in. Neighbor dropped his tree on it several years ago and I have extra panels available to put the whole thing back up. Tomorrow is also warm, 62 degrees F, like yesterday. I want to pound in the rest of the missing fenceposts. I can fix the fence all of the rest of the winter if I do. I have Columbine next to my front door growing...looks like it might be another mild winter.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is warm here too...we have sold our entire stock of charcoal for grills the past few days. I haven't had enough time off to do anything outside in the daylight in weeks. Everything should slow down at work after Wednesday, and the days are getting longer!

Until then, I am dreaming with my seed catalogs and taking care of the houseplants.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
day three of being able to get outside. have entire garden now cleared of grasses that i disturbed the other day. yay more worm food! :) the rains come back tonight and then the forecast stays soggy and heads into snow early next week.

Latest posts