What Did You Do In The Garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
:) :):frow

Take a page from @ninnymary. Don’t spray, paint it on leaf. Once on leaf, it will translocate to the roots. That way no soil saturation. Or continue to mutter about it.... I’m good either way.

I’m with you on not using chemicals in garden. I’m painting horseradish that started from throwing leaves with bits of root back onto garden. Talk about tough to kill.....don’t think I’m gaining. But it’s not either....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, yesterday I pulled small calla lillies out. Those darn things keep coming back. Any little piece will take root but I've managed to stay on top of it, haha.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ha, HA!!! Now DH can garden WITH ME!!! :love:hugs
Yesterday I made my potato raised bed box. I had cut these 1/4 particle boards for a "fix the barn roof from the inside 11 years ago", and had them stored in the barn loft. I made a box about 20ft long, about 20 inches wide and about 20 inches deep. I had cleared the area from last year and I put down cardboard at the bottom. DH got the tractor out and we removed this pile where I have been burning sticks, etc., and not cleaned to the ground in many years. Surprisingly there was enough to fill this box!! I was pleasantly surprised.
Today, before the rain, I planted 17 russet potatoes that were from the store and had all seriously sprouted. I made sure to cut them a few days ago so that the wounds would heal. Today I need to cut the really big seed red potatoes, and the 5 pounds of white potatoes that I bought the other day.
Yesterday's job would have taken me 3 hours, but WE were done in 45 minutes, plus DH is getting better at scooping up with the shovel/bucket and dumping where you want it. It has hydraulics but they can be sensitive.
We will be moving my stall dump piles later in the Spring to cover over 2nd year burdock, after I put down cardboard first.
Thinking end of May, beginning of June to check for harvest.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am jelly. I LOVE calla lillies!!! I bought 3 bulbs to plant in pots this month and then put out asap.
They are very pretty and I do have a few in other areas of my garden. I've been taking them out from around my fountain so that I can get in there easier. I also wanted to just have dwarf nasturtiums in that area. But yesterday I was thinking of just leaving the ones coming up in the back against the fence. Sort of letting nature take it's course, haha and me not being so tidy tidy, haha.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:) :):frow

Take a page from @ninnymary. Don’t spray, paint it on leaf. Once on leaf, it will translocate to the roots. That way no soil saturation. Or continue to mutter about it.... I’m good either way.

I’m with you on not using chemicals in garden. I’m painting horseradish that started from throwing leaves with bits of root back onto garden. Talk about tough to kill.....don’t think I’m gaining. But it’s not either....
Mid American Garden panel talked about horseradish putting down 15 ft roots, so good riddance. ALWAYS pot them. I don't think that we can totally not use chemicals. I have 5 acres to care for. I have to be careful around my horse's turnout, but where I mow the yard around the house I can kill, like the weeds that try to grow between the sidewalk and the house in amongst the rocks there, hard to pull out, nobody eats there.
I think if you read my posts, you will see that cardboard has become my very best gardening friend. EVERYBODY has too much of it and it will keep weeds from growing. IF you miss a few, get out your child paintbrushes and brush the leaves only. You may have to reapply. Where I put down D-2 last year along the fencing by the street, nothing grew back until this week. It had become a weedfest.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug up an entire nutsedge and thought I'd post a photo. I don't get a lot of the nuts when I remove them. You can't just pull it out, that nut breaks right off. That's a fairly large nut, I've seen several much smaller. Sometimes that nut is an inch or so underground, not as deep as this one was.

This one looks like it had been broken off before. That nut just keeps sending up new shoots it seems like forever. That nut does not run out of energy very fast.

I pretty much got it at the right time, before it reproduced. Eventually it would go to seed but the way I hate is that when they get about this much growth above-ground they start sending out Rhizomes which become new plants. Also they form nutlets underground that will become a new plant. They start reproducing really young, if you don't stay on top of it they can quickly become a thick mat. Nutsedge loves a wet poorly drained soil, like the swamp muck that makes up a lot of my soil.

View attachment 34696

ours doesn't look like that, or perhaps i'm thinking of another plant. i just keep pulling the green stuff when i see it and eventually it does give up. have to be persistent.

i think the best approach if you can get away with it is to smother it with a few layers of cardboard/newspapers and put mulch over that and let it be for a few years. whatever does manage to come up won't have an easy time of getting through the cardboard/newpapers and mulch. and if you need to do it again it doesn't take all that much time to scrape the woodchips back and replace the cardboard/newspapers.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been spreading around the winter accumulation of chicken **** mixed with straw from the chicken run in between our corn rows and into our squash garden. Then I'll cover with more straw. Hoping it helps the soil and suppresses some weed growth in those areas.

Oh an my keets all ran off to my neighbors property yesterday and came back for a little today before running back. I feel bad, a little bit, but damn they're annoying.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is a new season. What did you do in the garden today, yesterday, last week :)?

Two backyard beds have been covered with the temporary hoop house. Seed for Asian greens and escarole has been sown; bok choy transplants have gone in. The flower beds around the house have been cleaned up.

I have now begun in the little veggie garden by leveling a few beds cultivated last year, fertilizing, and planting some seed potatoes, onion sets and pea seed.

What did you do in your gardens :)?

Steve
Because of the corona virus scare. No one is allowed to get out of the house. I cant even water my plants. :(:(:(

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been spreading around the winter accumulation of chicken **** mixed with straw from the chicken run in between our corn rows and into our squash garden. Then I'll cover with more straw. Hoping it helps the soil and suppresses some weed growth in those areas.

Oh an my keets all ran off to my neighbors property yesterday and came back for a little today before running back. I feel bad, a little bit, but damn they're annoying.
IF I was your neighbor, I’d encourage the keets to go home. Love their looks. Hate their noise... Had them before. When we had a sun deck, they would sit on rail and sing (at least their version). Luckily they taste very good.

Latest posts