What Did You Do In The Garden?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today I sold my goats. I'm sad but it was for the best. They were too big for me to handle and one kept jumping out of the fence. Goats are an escape artists! They went to a farm that has more goats and a farmer that is retired and can spend more time with them. Maybe in the future I'll get dwarf goats.
In other news, I fertilized the corn and watered it really well. Harvested some herbs for tea. And we have zucchini and beans from the garden.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I boxed in my Black rapsberries with below ground retaining boards so they cant escape into my neighbours place and have a nice layer of leaves covering the soil to hinder weds from growing meanwhile.

I did have to dig out set of roots out to make room for the boxing. That got taken to my other neighbour to see if she wanted it. Thankfully, she did.
Now they cant be a nuisance and have been trimmed all ready for spring.

With this Warm!!! winter though, the roots are already starting to show new shoots, maybe spring will be early here, this year.

always funny to me that you are hitting your winter solstice when we're hitting our summer... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I sold my goats. I'm sad but it was for the best. They were too big for me to handle and one kept jumping out of the fence. Goats are an escape artists! They went to a farm that has more goats and a farmer that is retired and can spend more time with them. Maybe in the future I'll get dwarf goats.
In other news, I fertilized the corn and watered it really well. Harvested some herbs for tea. And we have zucchini and beans from the garden.

i'm sorry they didn't work out for you there! yes, they are escape artists. where i used to rent a place in the hills of TN i would always feed them some carrots and so after a while if i was gone and would come back if they'd escaped their field they'd come hang out on my porch waiting for goodies. i'd ring the landlord and he'd come get them.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i'm sorry they didn't work out for you there! yes, they are escape artists. where i used to rent a place in the hills of TN i would always feed them some carrots and so after a while if i was gone and would come back if they'd escaped their field they'd come hang out on my porch waiting for goodies. i'd ring the landlord and he'd come get them.
Thank you. They loved sweet feed and always came when we had that. I'll miss them but they will be happy.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Me too!

I must be on a bit of a roll this week. Today, I cut down my persimmon tree cos the branch that broke under the weight of the fruit had black mold going down past the break point. Big sigh. The cuts all got painted with some leftover house paint to make sure they didnt get reinfected.
The poor thing is left with about a third of its trunk along with two stubby branches. I guess that means I will not be getting any Persimmons next year.

I decided to tackle the Tangelo tree next, seeing as I already had the paint bucket open, so that got trimmed of a lot of the twigs and branches that showed obvious signs of borer...and then while I was still on a roll, I decided to trim my supposed to be lemonade lemon, that is obviously Not that kind.

This one is supposed to be doing two things- provide a less tart lemon as well as provide a cover to the (glass art painted) window of my bathroom.
A couple of years ago, as I was getting into the bath, my dog started to bark at the window.......grrr somebody outside my window????
So even though it has a glass art painting on it, I realised that I needed to do something else. (This is in a fully secured- supposedly, back yard).

I now have some wires running from a post from my old clothes line to the trellis at the far end. The lemon tree is in the process of being espaliered along these three lines. It was supposed to be a Lemonade lemon tree, but after a couple of years has proved to Not be that sort. ....But, instead, lol, its a type that has nasty thorns along with its beautiful juicy fruit.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too!

I must be on a bit of a roll this week. Today, I cut down my persimmon tree cos the branch that broke under the weight of the fruit had black mold going down past the break point. Big sigh. The cuts all got painted with some leftover house paint to make sure they didnt get reinfected.
The poor thing is left with about a third of its trunk along with two stubby branches. I guess that means I will not be getting any Persimmons next year.

I decided to tackle the Tangelo tree next, seeing as I already had the paint bucket open, so that got trimmed of a lot of the twigs and branches that showed obvious signs of borer...and then while I was still on a roll, I decided to trim my supposed to be lemonade lemon, that is obviously Not that kind.

This one is supposed to be doing two things- provide a less tart lemon as well as provide a cover to the (glass art painted) window of my bathroom.
A couple of years ago, as I was getting into the bath, my dog started to bark at the window.......grrr somebody outside my window????
So even though it has a glass art painting on it, I realised that I needed to do something else. (This is in a fully secured- supposedly, back yard).

I now have some wires running from a post from my old clothes line to the trellis at the far end. The lemon tree is in the process of being espaliered along these three lines. It was supposed to be a Lemonade lemon tree, but after a couple of years has proved to Not be that sort. ....But, instead, lol, its a type that has nasty thorns along with its beautiful juicy fruit.

beautiful juicy fruit that is edible?

thorns would not be much fun, but if using as a barrier planting that would work. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somebody at the window? Maybe, you need to do what you feel more comfortable with. My dogs would bark at 4-footed critters, birds, and even some big insects. Mine were going crazy one night. When I went outside there was a mouse up on the side of the house out of their reach. When I knocked it down they could not find it. Such ferocious protectors. To be honest, I was glad it wasn't another skunk.

Did that lemon tree grow from the rootstock? I had a lime tree that did that once. It died back and sprouted from the rootstock. It produced huge thin-skinned really juicy limes. They weren't as pretty as that tree was supposed to produce but I preferred those to what the grafted part was supposed to be.

Latest posts