What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
first checked the Japanese Beetle chewing in the bean gardens and squished a few dozen of them. i didn't get a chance to check the beans yesterday so i'm glad i got back to it today. not a lot of damage yet.

checked the cucumbers to see if there were enough to be worth picking. we're growing them for my brother. we'll let him know there's enough if he wants to come get them.

did a little work on the garden gate that Mom stained and wanted to replace the wire fence on it with the hardware mesh. it does look a lot nicer now. i need to wipe off the dust i got on there from the limestone. not sure it will come off with the rain or not.

got the garlic lifted just in time too by the looks of it. :)

also cut off the tops of the bunching onions so that the seeds can't scatter all over the place. i have so many seeds from last year that i don't really need any more. not sure how viable for how long those seeds will remain, but i'm not worried that i can't get more next year if i really want more.

pulled a few weeds and cleaned up some damage from deer trampling around. had two young deer in the back yard yesterday morning and it took them a while to find their way out. i hope they now know to not come back.

raccoon started digging up an onion. Mom didn't plant them deep enough. i think this one will be ok, it wasn't uprooted completely. just a bit of excavation from the side. put the dirt back and tamped it down.

ground still wet enough that no watering is needed. rains in the forecast for this evening. if so that will be nice. also rains in the forecast for this week. if we can keep enough rains coming to get the gardens wet enough it would be great as everything does so much better on rain water v.s well water. the plants are all doing great since we've had a few inches of decent rains.

tomatoes are as tall as i am and looking pretty good.

later today i'll do a little pea picking and exploration of the pea patch. nothing else major. it's going to be too hot and i'm glad to be mostly done for the day.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
also cut off the tops of the bunching onions so that the seeds can't scatter all over the place. i have so many seeds from last year that i don't really need any more. not sure how viable for how long those seeds will remain, but i'm not worried that i can't get more next year if i really want more.
Unless frozen, the seeds only remain viable for a year. I save fresh seeds every year for trading.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unless frozen, the seeds only remain viable for a year. I save fresh seeds every year for trading.

the plants are still alive and i'm not eating them all and i have thousands of seeds from before too, i'm not worried about losing this line of plantlings. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked off Japanese Beetles and did a little weeding while i was at it.

i had some piles of purselane drying out that got rained on so i had to flip those over to make sure they would not reroot. purselane is not a plant to give up easily, but at least this way i don't have to throw all that energy that the sun gathered away and the worms get a bit of a snack once it does finally dry out and start decaying.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sowed some amaranth seed.

Sowed some Batavian lettuce seed.

It will be a real test for these. Today will likely be mid-90's F and the hottest so far of 2020.

Have more bush bean seed in the ground after harvesting some early potatoes and green onions. I'll tell you about how DW thought to preserve those after I run an errand.

:) Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The good news for me is I finally got my grass cut and I managed to get out some more brambles and weeds plus cut but an over growing hedge tree.

Still trying to get raised beds made so I can start growing some food here.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend gave me a small front-tine tiller if I could fix it, I took a look & am pretty sure I found the problem. Parts are on the way, and should arrive this week. Fingers crossed that is the only problem, won't know until I try to start it. Meanwhile, the weeds that still cover 75% of the rural garden are beginning to flower - so I will be taking the mower to cut them off wherever I can, until they can be tilled. I'll be using the mulch setting to restore some of what the weeds have stolen, so that may turn out to be the silver lining in this weed-for-all.

After an hour or two in the home gardens, DW & I have been spending 6-8 hours at the rural garden weeding. The weeds are deep rooted now & we have to work carefully around the plants, so progress is slow but steady. DW is almost done weeding the first corn patch. I weeded around two more pepper varieties & put up their cage frames, but it was too windy to put on the covers... hopefully it will be calmer tomorrow. I also weeded around the Taiwan Black yardlong beans, which are beginning to put up runners; so I'll finish putting up the trellis there tomorrow. Of all the vegetables planted there, the cowpeas & yardlongs seem least affected by the weed pressure.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden just is not much this year. The beans are climbing. I put more string on today, but stopped due to seeing wasp nests in the poles. DS is going to spray them for me. The squash is slowly growing and I have a couple of cucumber plants. The tomatoes are stunted and the peppers from being root bound before planting. The peas have done well. I have had lettuce and have some Swiss chard I can put. The kale and collards did well and I may have a cabbage plant. I was too busy to go check. My summer is full of helping DD with the 2 little girls and my job.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
someone described them to me as a really wimpy carrot flavor, but i've not had them myself to know how i would describe that.

can you compare the flavor to anything else?
smacking lips.....nah, I dont think they taste anything like carrots though.
Next time someone comes over for dinner, I'll make sure we have some and ask the how they would describe them.

I actually planted flowers for a change. Pansies and Alyssum.

Latest posts