What Did You Do In The Garden?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not get to post last night. We had a surprise thunderstorm, so I shut the computer down. I picked the last of the cabbage and froze it. I got some snap peas planted, picked beans and had some for supper and have more in the ice box for tonight all snapped and picked blackberries and today, I went out and picked more beans, found some cucumbers, tomatoes, picked a few little onions for a salad, picked peppers and that is squash from 2 days of picking and I have to get busy freezing and cooking. View attachment 15266
You make me look lazy!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
You make me look lazy!

No way you are lazy. I think I do all this in a conserving energy type mode. I must be getting back close to my before chickenpox health. I made a chocolate zucchini Texas sheet cake. I blanched squash and green beans while I made the cake, and some how I got it all done. I pickled some of the banana peppers. I am very tired. I brought in some collards and have them off the stems in the ice box and I will blanch and freeze those tomorrow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am continuing to dig potatoes. The snow peas are planted behind me and this weekend, I'll begin sowing seed for Asian greens in that bed.

@Mauldintiger may want to take notes. It isn't all spud wonderland on this glacial till between two great potato growing regions. Weather did it this year - June weather. Ups and downs, the cool weather didn't quite hit freezing in my garden but blasts of record heat aren't friendly to potatoes.

Luckily, I planted quite a lot of Red LaSoda. I haven't gotten into the Viking Purple yet but the LaSoda plants came in all sizes. I was kinda cringing when I dug some of the smaller plants ... right at 2# for each. Okay, good. First, don't ya know, I dug a couple of big plants. Never got those spuds weighed but we were pleased. Ate 'em right away, too!

There are 100sqft in that bed and 30+ plants. Too many Purple Majesty, the Vikings are in a little separate patch because I didn't find that seed until late. Anyway, the big LaSoda will make up for the low yield Majesty, all purple. There should be about 70# from that bed. The 20sqft of Vikings will give us the 100# of potatoes DW and I can eat before the serious sprouting renders them useless in January.

With all those square feet elsewhere and a basement, why don't you grow a late variety for a longer storage? You might well ask :). Well, I could but then there's the room that the onions and dahlias take up in the basement. And, those basement stairs ...!

At least, I've got early potatoes! (Trying to dig them slowly and eat them quickly so I have less to carry down those stairs!)

:eek: Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
No way you are lazy. I think I do all this in a conserving energy type mode. I must be getting back close to my before chickenpox health. I made a chocolate zucchini Texas sheet cake. I blanched squash and green beans while I made the cake, and some how I got it all done. I pickled some of the banana peppers. I am very tired. I brought in some collards and have them off the stems in the ice box and I will blanch and freeze those tomorrow.
Need a nap after reading all of that.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am trying to picture 100 sq feet and 30 plants. It kind of gives me something to judge. If I plant potatoes next year, it will be in a different section of the garden. After seeing potato plants from some elderly friend's garden, I was shocked what their tomato plants looked like compared to mine.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
after last nights rain no need to water.
photo (4).JPG

so took the girls for a quick walk and inside to the a/c, heck with the garden.....i know bad attitude....

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spent all day chopping and blanching collards, chopping peppers and freezing, picked more beans and squash and now i see little beans on the pole beans. Picked 2 little bitty tomatoes.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
All your produce lined up like that made me nostalgic...that's what my garden produce USED to look like in the not so distant past. Very beautiful!!

Will pick some maters this morning for drying, also chives. Will likely hoe some grass crowns starting up in the garden out...that's the most prevalent weed right now, the crab grass. Might dig into a tater hill and see what's going on there...mostly I've had tops but no bottoms on spuds this year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had a week of unprecedented rain around here. Not in inches, but in frequency. Rain twice a day, every day. The garden never dries out enough to work it. Weeds growing like crazy. Hot and humid.
I hate to try to pick cukes and beans when the vines are wet. Icky, itchy.

FaerieGlynne

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Latest start ever?! Life got way crazy this year and my garden is a pile of wonderfully composted duck poop hay and dark, rich soil. I never got a single thing in the ground. I have a ton of seeds. What can I plant? I'm just outside of Portland, OR. What are you guys planting for for your fall gardens?!

Latest posts