What Did You Do In The Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted a pot of bizy lizzie in memory of my mother, she loved those.
I had to look that up. Never heard of Busy Lizzie. We grow impatiens in the winter down here, they cook in the summer heat but can take our winters quite well. Beautiful bright colors.

Impatiens walleriana (syn. Impatiens sultanii), also known as busy Lizzie (British Isles), balsam, sultana, or simply impatiens, is a species of the genus Impatiens, native to eastern Africa from Kenya to Mozambique.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What traps the mosquitoes?
I have been using Spartan traps. I have 2 up by the house but in the yard it is bad so I will mix up a couple more. Last year I used 4 and it was just pleasant.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It had BETTER not frost this week..... Tuesday night looks dangerously close..... 😬
Yes, the WS moved it a day closer.

I was out running sprinklers at 7AM, today. But, it wasn't for frost mitigation. The ground needed water and, just as predicted, the wind changed direction later and began to blow with vigor! That would have messed up my attempt to keep water in the garden :confused:.

The WS first said Tuesday would be a quite day. Then, it was Monday. Then, neither Monday or Tuesday - WIND! Add to that, Tuesday night in the thirties! I gave up on plans for setting some tomato plants out today. I don't think that it will freeze but what possible good would it do them to have two days of wind and some frigid temperatures?

Steve
(wind gusting to 35mph, currently)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have been using Spartan traps. I have 2 up by the house but in the yard it is bad so I will mix up a couple more. Last year I used 4 and it was just pleasant.
Look what I just found :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No. Not sweet enough for me. They have all tasted like field corn to me. Plus I prefer the hybrid vigor of getting them up and keeping them healthy.
I’ve known people to add sugar to water to cook sweet corn. IF you have to add sugar, just grow field corn, pick it soon after pollination. When my folks started growing Illini SS, they gave some ears to a friend. She complained it was way too sweet-she added sugar to her water.
I'm envious @seedcorn, I wish I had enough space to be able to grow that nice, sweet corn. When I was growing up my parents would come home with baskets of 'Peaches and Cream' from roadside sellers, and it was so delicious. Just fantastic tasting. Nobody seems to grow corn for roadside stands anymore. I wish that I had the space to grow some of that corn I grew up with. But I'm in the burbs, and Northern, so if I grow corn (usually Tom Thumb) I have to settle for early maturing dwarf varieties. I'm trying a new corn this year for fresh eating (1st try at this type) , called 'Blue Jade'. I was tempted with two other varieties called Pickaninny, and Orchard Baby. So I threw a coin, and blue corn it is.

Latest posts