What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had some very nice days, also. A community not far away missed a daily record by 1°. So, it was back to the big veggie garden yesterday to see how plants waiting for the tractor guy were fairing.

First of all, it's surprising to me how Siberian kale has so much trouble with cold weather. The Scotch toughs it out, no problems. Even the Portuguese kale is still okay but it's here at home and right beside the greenhouse. The Siberian is quite damaged.

Salvaged a few good leaves from it and from the chard. There was quite a bit of cilantro to go with the backyard cherry tomatoes brought in when they had just a blush. Salsa.

The big haul was the broccoli! Lateral buds kept coming on most of the plants despite some hard frosts. I carried out nearly 2 gallons. This was Eastern Magic broccoli. It felt a little odd ordering that seed but the description that this variety would withstand heat stress influenced me and proved out!

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started clearing out part of the rural garden today, in preparation for building the garlic bed. The box has been disassembled, and will be moved once the new location has been mowed & tilled. We had a light frost, but only a few things are still producing there anyway... two cowpeas (still producing a small amount of dry seed), one pepper (tented), and the Garden Huckleberry (yet to be harvested). All of those are in the other half of the garden from where the garlic will be planted. DW & I hope to finish the prep tomorrow, re-assemble the box - and hopefully, to bring a load of soil. We want to begin filling the garlic bed before rain arrives; but with sunset at 6:00 PM now, we may run out of time. The bed will be covered to keep it dry regardless.

We are still picking shelly beans, peppers, chard, and a few tomatoes from the home garden. Still no frost! I hate to cut down plants which are still producing, but once we have harvested all of the chard, we will need to clear that garden in preparation for adding (and hopefully turning under) shredded Autumn leaves.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits and @ninnymary yes, used as a border planting, erosion and weed control also because it is a low growing plant that smells great when i weed it plus it handles light traffic ok (i walk on it, the deer do some damage but i just fill in the holes and it eventually fills them back in) and too the flowers are bright purple. :) we always like purples.

main details of the north garden and plenty of pictures of the thyme too:

best picture of the thyme that i like the most:

DSC_20200618_075507-0400_476_Bloom_Thyme_thm.jpg

i have another few patches of thyme around and we have other kinds of thyme too, but i want a more uniform planting for this garden's edges so i'm not transplanting those.
It is beautiful! What a great idea! I have a spot next to my garden of oregano and I have been thinking why not just have oregano around the garden, but I never thought of thyme.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dug dahlias here at home. It looks like dry/hot isn't very good for root development ...

Dug out some ground to bury dahlias stems and old tubers. Dug out part of a stealth compost pit. Oh, my aching back!

Almost had to roll the 4 big pots that the backyard tomatoes lived in, over to the compost. That's done and the 5 pots for coleus and petunias were also emptied. The front yard is almost cleaned up enough to let any extra work wait for 2022.

Steve
I have some big pots that had tomatoes in that I have just been dreading to deal with.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did more raking and moved some of the manure into the garden and decided to take all the strings and dead pole beans down so that I can clean that up and I want to spread a lot of the manure there. I realize I cannot fill a wheelbarrow up as full as I used to without paying for it later. I will just end up going to the chiropractor, It was really pretty out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is beautiful! What a great idea! I have a spot next to my garden of oregano and I have been thinking why not just have oregano around the garden, but I never thought of thyme.

you will still have to weed it no matter what you put in for an edge. edges collect seeds that are blown in by the wind or moved by animals and such. still i do like it a lot better than bare dirt. the more you can control the edge the better it gets for the garden weeding job.

we have some taller and more edible thyme (the flowers are a light purple color) that we have planted in other places and some of it gets mowed regularly and it still grows and flowers and survives even if it is surrounded by grass. i've never weeded it to remove the grass it just takes over. ok, in thinking we do have some areas of it that i do have to redo and weed because certain grasses have gotten in there but for the most part i've not weeded those areas much at all. i'm thinking i may at some point replace the grassy area with it, but then i would have to transplant and weed it to get it going. we'll see what happens. right now other projects have a much higher priority.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
how strange when i put a link to the thyme patch that is being run over by the nearby squash plants it won't work. i'll try it in a separate post. ah, i just needed to reload the page, now it shows up. :)

p7290003_Squash_Thyme_thm.jpg

calebgilk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My wife and I have prepared the ground for artificial grass and supervised the guys from https://itsartificialgrass.com/ who actually installed the synthetic grass. They were great, super patient with all our questions and our kids who were messing around! My wife is pleased that she's not gonna have to water the grass anymore and that this upcoming weekend, we're gonna get ourselves some lovely plants and flowers. It was a nice weekend, and it sucks that it's Monday again and we gotta work! Anyways, have a very productive week, everyone!

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Move biggest pots with a hand truck.

I thought of that but the hand truck has one tire that is nearly flat. Story of my present existence :D.

Since the closest stealth compost pit (under the deck outside the greenhouse) was only about 20 feet away, I decided to move them as far as I could reach without standing. Reach down from one side, grab and swing ... position myself again, grab and swing ... again ...

Prying the pots loose from the soil beneath them was the first order of business. I'm always pleased to see strong roots reaching into the soil through drainage holes :).

Steve