What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful Peppers, @Dirtmechanic !

Yesterday, I did some raking, including the house roof. (Had to stall awhile since the leaves were frozen on. Guess I have good roof insulation :).) Cleaned the gutter -- that's an up&down the ladder job that makes my feet sore from standing on the rungs! I stall and stall but had reason to in 2021 because it can be dusty and needed some rainwater.

Hauled tree leaves to cover some plants in the yard and extra to compost. Will rake front lawn today but thought it contributed a nice "ambiance" for Halloween :D.

Today, I will carry winter squash out from under tarps (& on a pallet) in the carport, down basement stairs, to their winter storage shelves. Does any of this count as "garden work?"

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took down the garden fence to run leaves into the garden for this spring.
That was my plan too. Usually there would be a warm-up after the first freeze (which is usually the first week of October) and I could gather leaves then. But because we have yet to see a hard freeze, leaf-fall is weeks late. :eek: Pretty crazy, since the trees should be bare by Halloween, and some have not even turned color yet. The forecast is for it to be dry all week, so I may yet be able to turn under some leaves, charcoal, and ashes before the ground becomes unworkable.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That was my plan too. Usually there would be a warm-up after the first freeze (which is usually the first week of October) and I could gather leaves then. But because we have yet to see a hard freeze, leaf-fall is weeks late. :eek: Pretty crazy, since the trees should be bare by Halloween, and some have not even turned color yet. The forecast is for it to be dry all week, so I may yet be able to turn under some leaves, charcoal, and ashes before the ground becomes unworka
I think we got older but the planet is spinning through space and has changed our calendar some. Today, weather wise, is the beginning of the month I once knew by temp as october. In fact it was usually frosty by the end of the month. Back to this actual calendar, we are rarely seeing frost by the end of November. I saw an article that related our calender and the solar cycle and it was pionting out spring is later and later by some design. I have no influence on such grand schemes so I just wait longer relative to all the now outdated internet advice.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I emptied old produce from jars in my big garden bed. They are being covered with used (horse) stall bedding, Maybe tilled in, I am planting sweet potatoes there next year.
I needed more jars, and this is a baaaaddddd year to buy them. I clean them out, then run them through the dishwasher.
Oh, I Also pulled down the 2nd/5 rows of tomatoes, 8 plants. 3 more rows to go!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm paying my kids to pull weeds. $1 for a 5 gallon bucket full of weeds. I made them stomp it down with their foot lol. Poor little ones got tired so I helped. No one paid me tho lol.

They made $5 each. Not bad lol.

think of the worms turning all those into plant food for you and you won't feel so bad.

:)

if i get a chance in the middle of winter to get out and weed i love to bring in those fresh greens for the worms to chomp on.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some people think low and slow cooking has to do with BBQ and tasty treats. I have arrived at a more original idea.
PXL_20211101_162356753.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i almost got the whole thing done, the long narrow garden along the pathway. almost. i still have a few square feet of sod to remove and some weeding along the other edge, but the bulk of the work is done. it looks so much nicer now.

four hours today is plenty for this body to get done and the weather was perfect. no mosquitoes, no flies, nice breeze, sunshine and to make it even nicer nobody was plowing or harvesting. :)

Latest posts