What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mowed the gardens. Yesterday I collected the leaves from 3 of my neighbors & dumped them into the gardens, to be turned under.
I've done that mowing, then tilling. A "corn knife" was used again this year but corn stalks etc. will have to be dealt with other than by tilling, unless the tractor guy does it.

There's a definite advantage amongst the deficits for a tuff little tractor showing up. Not everything will be below the soil surface but whatever is, will give me no real trouble the following year.

Umm, let's see ... i managed to pull out 2 buckets of "finished" compost and buried 3, 5-gallon buckets of compostables in the stealth compost pits.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
uhh, it's always romantic when you don't have to clean those leaves.
1667329898492.png

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A 70 F. degree day in November? I'll take it. 😁 A great day to clean & winnow this year's "Painted Mountain" corn. 11 1/2 pounds total - less than I'd hoped for (had 14 pounds last year) but given the late planting, better than I expected. Had more spoiled ears than last year, and some stunted or deformed ears with genetics that I don't wish to pass on.

Edit: Checked my records, last year was 17 pounds, in almost the same space... so the late planting took its toll.

This was grow out 2/2 of the seed stock sent to me by @baymule . When fully dry, one pint of 2022 seed will be frozen, to eventually mix with the frozen pint from 2021 (I'll use a below-zero day to do this). All the remaining corn from both years is pantry stock, to be ground for fresh corn meal as needed. At my current rate of usage, I probably will only need to re-grow this for food every 5-6 years or so. The saved seed, being frozen, should easily last 10-15 years or more. I really love this corn. 😍
20221102_145343.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A 70 F. degree day in November? I'll take it. 😁 A great day to clean & winnow this year's "Painted Mountain" corn. 11 1/2 pounds total - less than I'd hoped for (had 14 pounds last year) but given the late planting, better than I expected. Had more spoiled ears than last year, and some stunted or deformed ears with genetics that I don't wish to pass on.

This was grow out 2/2 of the seed stock sent to me by @baymule . When fully dry, one pint of 2022 seed will be frozen, to eventually mix with the frozen pint from 2021 (I'll use a below-zero day to do this). All the remaining corn from both years is pantry stock, to be ground for fresh corn meal as needed. At my current rate of usage, I probably will only need to re-grow this for food every 5-6 years or so. The saved seed, being frozen, should easily last 10-15 years or more. I really love this corn. 😍
View attachment 53128
That is a beautiful sight! I didn't get any painted mountain corn harvest this year. We made the garden way too big and I couldn't keep up with the work. May I ask how big was your plot where you grew this that gave you 11.5lbs?
I have plenty of seed left to try next year!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That’s a beautiful harvest! I do love this corn. It is beautiful and fun to grow. I need to get to milling some corn! I got to make cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving. I’m hosting Thanksgiving in my new to me, still a mess, Doublewide.

11 1/2 pounds is a darn good harvest, be proud of yourself for that!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful sight! I didn't get any painted mountain corn harvest this year. We made the garden way too big and I couldn't keep up with the work. May I ask how big was your plot where you grew this that gave you 11.5lbs?
I have plenty of seed left to try next year!
136 square feet. That was 34 hills, thinned to 4 plants each, 2' apart each way. Had I planted on time, and not discarded about 15 ears for spoilage or late DTM, that might have added another pound or two. Last year, with 32 hills of 3 plants & slightly wider spacing, the total was 17 pounds - or about 2.8 ounces per plant. The ears last year were noticeably longer & better filled. Not sure how much of that difference was due to the late planting, or the closer spacing (3/hill in 2021, vs. 4/hill in 2022).

Last edited:

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
136 square feet. That was 34 hills, thinned to 4 plants each, 2' apart each way. Had I planted on time, and not discarded about 15 ears for spoilage or late DTM, that might have added another pound or two. Last year, with 32 hills of 3 plants & slightly wider spacing, the total was 17 pounds - or about 2.8 ounces per plant. The ears last year were noticeably longer & better filled. Not sure how much of that difference was due to the late planting, or the closer spacing (3/hill in 2021, vs. 4/hill in 2022).
That is a great harvest for that much space!

Latest posts