What Did You Do In The Garden?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We spent several hours today taking down trellises and pulling up t posts. Also mowed and cut down some dead plants.
We have been approved for NRCS grant for a greenhouse and I am so excited!
I am tired but I love this type of work. Dh also mowed up some leaves and mulched the rest of the garlic bed. We also put up a netting around the garlic bed to prevent anyone from walking or riding on it.
Garlic is already popping up!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dunno, I will have to look into that. I always thought that they were Mediterrean and might survive a South Carolinian winter, but never mine!
I try to provide DD, "the Chef" with stuff so she doesn't have to buy it. I boughgt a large rosemary and it spent the summer in a nice pot on DD"s front potch. I brought it to my porch, stuck it in a 10 gallon fish tank, along with an orange tuberous begonia and both are waiting for me to move them to the 2nd floor east facing window for the rest of the cold season.
This little rosemary spent the summer at my house.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
When I went out to turn out the horses this morning I saw that my AC cover, for my permanent window LR AC had partially blown off. :eek:
I grabbed my roll of gorilla tape and got busy. I folded up and taped the 5 1/2 x 7 1/2 ft new blue tarp and it looked a little like Christmas wrapping. then I taped up the actual silver AC cover and used my HD black flat bungee cords to secure, as well as taping IT to the tarp.
I am satisfied that it hold for the season and we won't have any drafts, MOST important bc the window and AC are right next to DH's LR tv chair, where I have one of those Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtains, off white, that lives there.
In the summer I use large safety pins to pin it above the AC discharge.
I got distracted by the tomato cages (good only for peppers) that needed to be pulled. They made it to the top of the cistern, and I pulled most of the plants up. This PM I plan to use my riding mower and tow wagon to move the 2022 garden vegetation out.
I DID pull out and winter store my one 50 ft long soaker hose. It should be fine until 2023.
I thought that I had lost my gorilla tap and started looking for it.
Giving up, I looked down to see that it was on my right wrist, where I had put it...so I wouldn't lose it. :rolleyes:
Today's high is 52 today, then rain and cold tomorrow.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I kept planting tulips and tried to create some patterns. :D
1006_0.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was foggy this morning but the weather forecast said it would be up to 43F and not too windy so i had hopes of getting outside. and it worked out. :)

it felt good to be able to get part of the last garden put up so if i can get out for one more round of work for a few hours i should be able to finish.

more importantly though it just felt good to go outside and do something useful and get some exercise. digging a trench for some bean plants and getting it stuffed as full as i could get it with a few layers of wood ashes, bean plants and then replaced garden soil. after i got that done then i scraped the surface and then spread wood ashes on it and slightly dug them in. it was wetter than i'd have liked it but not impossible so i could avoid being mired down in the mud.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
looks like today is cooperating, it will be colder out there but i should be able to get the garden finished up enough that i'll consider it done for the winter. :)

the main nice thing is that it did not frost overnight so the ground did not refreeze at all and no more rain or snow so it won't be wetter than it was yesterday (which was wet enough to be muddy but not that i was sliding around).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are a lucky @flowerbug if'n you can get it this close to finished.

The tractor guy, waited for the tractor guy ... but, not really. The Weather. Yeah, I can blame it on that. I should have torn up the garden earlier but that's hard to do when everything was late and then we had all this mild weather right into November.

I wasn't gonna try to run sprinklers and protect the garden from the First Frost. I knew that I was lucky to not see it a month earlier (2 months earlier!). Still ... I took a picture of the backyard tomatoes covered with the first snow and then another picture of how they survived that! A couple days later, it snowed again - what was that, 5Nov? Freezing hard. Officially, we have not had one morning that it was above freezing since then.

Ground froze immediately, I'm not sure how much snow would hinder the tractor guy but frozen ground 🙄. The garden was ready for him ...

Steve, wishing you luck

Latest posts