What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish I could carry some of that load for you, Rabbits. :( :hugs You may find, in the coming weeks, that the garden is a burden or it could become a place where you go to sort out your feelings while you tend to it.

I pray for you and your family, Rabbits. :hugs

I am going to have to change how I garden. Not that I would ever quit, but I have a freezer full of things. I do not need 100 tomato plants or 100 pepper plants and I sure do not need 20 squash plants. I think this year I am going to let a lady friend from church have things like the raspberries and I use what I want fresh to eat and freeze a little and eat fresh squash but do not freeze any. I have so much. I will freeze greens and use tomatoes if possible, but not stress myself over things. DH was my garden buddy. He loved making compost, picking things in the garden, get totally silly over finding big worms in the garden. He fertilized trees and watered things. I used to get so mad at him for turning the water off too early, pulling flowers along with weeds, trimming the trees too much, but now I would love to see him do all that and actually this morning I got up and he was drinking coffee and I said it is too early. You should go back to bed and he said he was and i went back and an hour later realized he was not in bed and found him with his shoes and socks on and kind of tired and I said why do you have your shoes on and he said he went out and trimmed a few branches. I did not believe it really but later looked out and there is a little pile of branches from a rosebush. Not sure if it should have been trimmed, but no matter what he does in the garden, I will never ever complain. He could hoe down a whole row of beans or peas and I would be happy. I think the neurosurgeon is right. This surgery will get him back to where he was a few weeks ago and Dr. DOOM is going to get a talking to from me. All these doctors with their predictions need to put their crystal balls of doom away and their statistics from the year 2000 or even 2010 are too old and now even 2015 is too old. Thank you for the prayers and kindness.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that's something everyone does in this life....take someone or something for granted until one can't take them for granted any longer, then they cherish all the moments they used to squawk about before. I wish we had hindsighted foresight in our lives so we could skip the squawking and go right to not sweating the small stuff and appreciating everyone and everything God has given us, every moment of every single day.

Then we could live without a single regret. I think that would be a wonderful feeling!

We have slowly moved towards gardening smaller as well, as fewer family members even want fresh produce and our family has grown smaller and smaller. It's hard to scale down but when you get there, finally, you realize it's not such a bad thing to only put in two squash plants and the anxiety of not having a big enough harvest rolls away.

Please do keep us updated, GWR....my heart goes out to you and your family in this. :hugs

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that's something everyone does in this life....take someone or something for granted until one can't take them for granted any longer, then they cherish all the moments they used to squawk about before. I wish we had hindsighted foresight in our lives so we could skip the squawking and go right to not sweating the small stuff and appreciating everyone and everything God has given us, every moment of every single day.

Then we could live without a single regret. I think that would be a wonderful feeling!

We have slowly moved towards gardening smaller as well, as fewer family members even want fresh produce and our family has grown smaller and smaller. It's hard to scale down but when you get there, finally, you realize it's not such a bad thing to only put in two squash plants and the anxiety of not having a big enough harvest rolls away.

Please do keep us updated, GWR....my heart goes out to you and your family in this. :hugs

I was just outside and it was not ONE rosebush, but several and I don't care. I am happy he wanted to help and that he was able. DS made a baby/grad slideshow for graduation and I was kind of emotional just a little looking at DH being healthy and DD was so sad but about her little brother growing up and not little and I said why is that sad? She said, because it made her remember how mean she was to him. Some of the pictures she took and she said he was such a brat that day, so I bet she yelled at him to pose better for the pictures. She is 6 years older than him. LOL. I agree with all you said about the small things and I have been married to DH for 25 years and now I see all he did. Every inch of this place he has left his mark. Fencing, wire left here and there to use later. All the things he fixed. The firewood stacked, the ladder where he put it. All his tools. The trees he planted and just everything. He ran this place and did all he could for us. Thank you.