What Did You Do In The Garden?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did nothing except take the hail off the plastic on the lettuce and strawberries and pout. I turned 62 yesterday and planning on what to buy with all my riches. I am for sure going to be buying a tiller and I think build a couple more boxes and put hoops on for weather like this. I am still trying to figure out what to do about asparagus. I am afraid the bugs are going to eat this garden up this year. The compost is cooking in the middle. I think just one more day of the rain and going to get into the 60s.
My husband tills with the biggest Troy built. It is at least 30 years old and gets quite a workout. We also have one of the smaller ones-the bronco. Got it hardly used from craig's list. Good for me to use. My favorite is the Mantis. I have had at least 3 in 30 years. I could not live without it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope your plants made it digitS without too much damage.
I'm not sure about hail damage, it couldn't have been extensive.

Finally made a run to the gardens, today! No frost damage! This is what it's like to live miles from one's garden ... it froze twice at home on recent mornings. No damage even to the potato foliage which has recently emerged. In fact, there are a couple of shoots from dahlia roots.

I don't thing that it's a micro-climate issue. Heaven knows, the big garden is more likely to suffer various weather outrages more often than the rather protected environment here at home. It isn't an elevation issue, either. Both places are almost exactly 2,000 ft. Probably an air movement "thing." Like today -- the rainstorms first looked like they might pass and were almost directly from the south. Then, the wind shifted and the rain arrived. By late afternoon, the clouds were all coming almost directly from the north ..!

Several flats of tomatoes are hidden out beneath the plum tree at the edge of the garden. I think we may plant them tomorrow or, might wait until Monday.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some tomatoes I could plant tomorrow. The rest are not hardened off. I have not even been to the garden. DD got sick and had her to ER and she has been weak. Some virus and her platelets and white blood cell out are low. She is better today. DS graduated today and DH did not get to go. He has been in the hospital. Just really bad what happened with him. The blood thinner he is on caused bleeding in his tumors. He is confused and talking crazy. He knows who we are and who he is, but just makes up stores and forgets things. I brought him home tonight. A neurosurgeon said he would not operate on him and another is going to look at his MRI and him Monday if I can get him there. His oncologist was out of town and it was hard to get information. They told me to take him home and get him stabilized for tests this week. They stopped the blood thinner and put in an IVC filter. He tolerated that okay.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I mowed down enormous burdock in the south pasture yesterday. Almost 8 inches of rain in two weeks! :th
WHEN will this end?!?!?!?!? :th :th :th :th :th :th
Exaggerating. Comes the wind and everything does dry out and the vegatation, garden and otherwise soaks it up.
Today I had a Loan Modification signing at the office before church. When I get home I will be spraying where I mowed and after checking for DEATH in the next few days. I will till the piles from last winter's stalls and move them onto the same areas, so the horse's are not tempted to eat any grass in between.
I also started seeds I had saved from a yellow calla lily that had gone to seed last Fall. I have them in a grocery store mushroom container with a plastic cover and sitting on the porch sill next to my peppers in their pots.
I WILL take pictures of my peppers and tomatoes in the 100 gallon Rubbermaid horse troughs soon. Even though I could have started the tomatoes inside, I REALLY LOVE how they are getting hardened to the sun and wind without being blown over and dried out. We had 60 mph gusts several days ago and zero visibility in some areas bc the farmers were planting. There were two deaths on the roads. (Very sad.) Same winds did NOTHING to my little plants. I will DEFINITELY plant like this next year, except the tomatoes will start inside and be bigger.
I pulled out an oak keg planter (wooden outside with a plastic non-draining liner) and I threw in every annual seed I could find into it. I watered heavily and the rains came and it has a puddle AND little allysium (and other) seedlings popping their little heads out.
Btw, I found cherry red nasturtium seeds!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have been busy in the garden. We have been having a super wet season here also I think lots of us have I believe it is the beginning of the 25 year water cycle. Even with the bad weather all have been able to get the garden going maybe not as much as usual though. We are supposed to start drying out and warming here in the PNW :fl. Hopefully all our weather starts getting better, gardeners got to garden for crying out loud:he.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some tomatoes I could plant tomorrow. The rest are not hardened off. I have not even been to the garden. DD got sick and had her to ER and she has been weak. Some virus and her platelets and white blood cell out are low. She is better today. DS graduated today and DH did not get to go. He has been in the hospital. Just really bad what happened with him. The blood thinner he is on caused bleeding in his tumors. He is confused and talking crazy. He knows who we are and who he is, but just makes up stores and forgets things. I brought him home tonight. A neurosurgeon said he would not operate on him and another is going to look at his MRI and him Monday if I can get him there. His oncologist was out of town and it was hard to get information. They told me to take him home and get him stabilized for tests this week. They stopped the blood thinner and put in an IVC filter. He tolerated that okay.
Oh my dear. I hope health improves for all. Maybe a few minutes in your garden will bring you some solace.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like you have been busy in the garden. We have been having a super wet season here also I think lots of us have I believe it is the beginning of the 25 year water cycle. Even with the bad weather all have been able to get the garden going maybe not as much as usual though. We are supposed to start drying out and warming here in the PNW :fl. Hopefully all our weather starts getting better, gardeners got to garden for crying out loud:he.

remember this 50 yrs ago