What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So... (and ignore the time and date stamp, bc DD will help me fix this before Alaska) here was my Sunday planting, which took hours!!!!!! :th
I got out my handy, dandy post hole auger yet AGAIN and started digging 10 inch deep holes for their roots.

Let's see if it fits...
Yep, does!

They were potbound when I bought them and now are potbound again.

Now to the peppers in the water trough. Glad I kept the labels!

Different root system, wider and deeper than those in the pots. I almost thought I was breaking too many roots but I hand dug into the compost that I filled into both water troughs.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Notice the poor condition of my 10yo cages? I had ones that were worse than that, but They went to the recycle place yesterday, along with other metal and aluminum cans. I ONLY got $3.50 for the lot BUT I didn't have to pay to have them picked up from our garbage company which doesn't want you to dump them anyway.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! GREAT lead in for my next post! (You must have read my mind, @ninnymary!!! Perhaps you throw your thoughts, which my DD's are convinced that I do...on occasion?) spooky...
My potatoes, you know, the russets that were sprouting in my bin that I planted? are flowering now.

I have intended BOTH water troughs for sweet potatoes.
I TRIED so HARD to do the right thing and to get the bed ready and then buy the plants but Nobody local had sweet potato starts!!! I got online and ordered and get this: ToMORROW was the cutoff for ordering sweet potatoes!! Dodged a bullet!!! :hide
https://www.gurneys.com/order_status
Check out their 2017 Spring shipping schedule at Gurneys. I order 12 plants, 6 for each water trough and here's hoping for a really good crop. The compost is easy for roots to expand and I am anxious to see if this was a good idea.
So, yeah, this bed will be empty today.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a local recycle place that will take practically anything, but you have to pay them to take dehumidifiers and some other stuff. LOTS of people bring truckloads of mixed metal. They weigh you before and after, YOU DUMP the metal, and they you are paid by the weight. I used to get about $10 for the same load several years ago, but something to better than dishing out. As Always, I call ahead if I haven't dumped it before. You go to one of their buildings to dump aluminum cans. I gave my can garbage can to my DD's bc they go through a lot of cans and I don't. It take about 3 months to have a full bag of those. Yesterday I took the truck, drove to a rural local for a loan closing, stopped at a Casey's (gas station, milk/bread/other store) to change clothes bc I wouldn't dump in dress clothes, and then drove to Mack's Reycycling in Urbana, IL.
Regarding the flowering, I think we have hotter weather than you have in SF, so that could be the reason. Doesn't matter if you get a good crop.

Last edited:

Latest posts