What Did You Do In The Garden?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I spent the afternoon digging the rest of the couch grass roots out of my waist high raised bed. I went over the bed twice and had quite a pile, when I pooped out DH went over it and got the rest of it, I hope, fingers crossed. Tomorrow after I've added some well conditioned compost I'll plant some Yacon caudices and leave enough room in front for the few 'Candy' bush beans.
It feels so good to get at least one of my garden areas cleaned out so I can start planting when the time comes. I have two more raised beds in this area, one has netting on the back for pole beans, has a row of Ozette potatoes planted down the middle and beets in front, these I planted last week and they are up already. The other bed has 3 teepee for pole beans with a row of lettuce in front, it's up too.
Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, the beet goes on!

With global warming, maybe I can try sweet potatoes again ... the purple ones seemed like something special, probably why I could accept them was because I see all sweet potatoes as special. (I'm trying again with purple "Irish" potatoes. There is resistance with them but I think it's just psychologically so can be struggled against :rolleyes:.)

I've said it before: snap peas were the greatest advance in veggies in my lifetime :). The fact that I'd only eaten a pea pod in a Chinese restaurant may have something to do with this thinking but - the snap pea was something truly new!

Oh, and the beet! I tried starting them in the greenhouse really late, one year. Before they were big enough for transplanting, they cooked!

I have a bunch up! Different colors, too. They are in insert with tiny cells because I have no intention of trying to keep them in the greenhouse heat long. In fact, they have already been outdoors on two days. Does it make any sense? I don't know - just another step along my path of an "instant garden."

:) Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spouse and I planted another 25 seed packets today. Mostly they are annuals, but today saw a few perennial plantings as well.
seeds sown2.JPGseeds sown1.JPGseeds sown 3.JPG
Now to wait. . . .

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
One tiny Brandywine is up about an inch, proud and tall!!! :weee

Not a single pepper has sprouted so far and they've got added heat. :( AND I keep ordering them to sprout when I check them daily....that should be a surefire sprouting plan, but thus far it's not working.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know about y'all, but I've been doing this for nigh 40 yrs now and it just never gets old to me. I must have looked at those new sprouts half a doz. times today, just tickled pink to see their little, tender leaves unfolding. :love

I'm pondering....but I think gardeners are born, not made. Oh, I think someone can learn to garden and do it efficiently, but I think the heart of a gardener, the passion that lies within, must be something a person is born with....I can remember from my earliest memories just being fascinated with the growing, the harvesting, the variety and qualities of things grown at home, how they tasted and looked, how they grew and watching them grow. Just fascinated me and still does...that feeling has not diminished one iota over the years.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today we had sun! It was still cool and the wind was a bit breezy, but we had sun!

After my dentist check up I went to the garden to clean out another bed. With spouse being ill last summer, the weeds overgrew a bit. Then he had a stroke in September and nothing got done to prepare the beds for the winter so. . .

I started in my second bed. Going was tough, with the grass making an interwoven mass of roots under the surface, but I was in no hurry and kept working at my own speed. Then Spouse came out to help. If not for him, I would have finished the bed today. His "help" slowed down what I wanted to do. First he brought a shovel and sliced the tops off at soil lever. How do you pull loose weeds when the tops are gone?

Then I let him use the fork. I had to continually remind him not to stick the fork into the bed when my fingers are in there. He only hit me twice, while smiling and reassuring me he wouldn't use the fork when my hands were in the way. Hah!

Suddenly he got weak and fell. I got him to my chair and told him to rest. A minute later he declared he was rested and came back to work, promptly falling again in the soft soil of my bed. It was all I could do to help him get out of the garden. With only a small section left to clean, I took him for an early supper so he could/would rest. I will finish tomorrow which is predicted to be another great sunny day only with less of the wind we had today.

With a bit of luck, son will be out and spouse can visit with him while I finish that bed and attack my third.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have so much tilling left! Got to some of it.

But, the first tiny onion transplants went in. We have had so much sunny warmth that hardening them off went a little awry! Sunburnt onion seedlings :\.

I think that they are all right. I've sheared them with scissors at this stage and they were all right. I'd prefer not to do that but about that "timing being everything" ... can't foresee the weather all that well

Steve

Latest posts