What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Baker Creek Petrowski description includes the statement that "around 1915 this variety was very important in Alaskan agriculture."

It wasn't quite a hundred years ago but I'd read that turnips do well in new gardens. I don't know why that would be but my garden on the California coast had mostly grown wild blackberry bushes. After I got those cleared, it grew turnips just great. Fortunately, it grew green beans well also, something I actually liked.

The garden in Idaho started out as a field of pine stumps. After the tractor got that ground cleared, about the only thing that grew well the first year was turnips. Good thing I wasn't easily discouraged because other crops did well, later.

Both times, I don't remember trying the greens. DW wasn't around then but 100 years later ;), she claims that they are mustard greens. No, they aren't. Turnips and mustard are different species. That thought may be what keeps me from thinking that they taste the same ... I'm okay with that. We do have mustard but certainly not in August and September. I'm putting turnips in my "summer greens" column but with so much fleabeetle damage and so many years since I grew them last, I have no idea how they should have grown.

Do turnips usually grow nicely in the summertime?? I wonder if they do well on new ground because the fleabeetles don't find them, at first.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, what do you do with your turnips?
I grew a bunch and they did real well, but I'm not sure how to use them. Turns out I'm not a big fan so far... :hide

I love turnips raw and with salt, but not so much cooked. I mean, they are fine cooked, but are much, much better when eaten raw.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I simply cannot believe this pak choi....where has that been all my gardening life???? I planted some on Thursday and it's already up...we've had no rain and it's been pretty chilly at night here, even down in the high 40s. I planted it in low tunnel, so it's getting even less sunlight than it would just planted in the open.

I'm loving how quickly it germinates, how quickly it grows, how hardy it is and how it tastes. I don't think I'll be gardening without this green from now onward.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I simply cannot believe this pak choi....where has that been all my gardening life???? I planted some on Thursday and it's already up...we've had no rain and it's been pretty chilly at night here, even down in the high 40s. I planted it in low tunnel, so it's getting even less sunlight than it would just planted in the open.

I'm loving how quickly it germinates, how quickly it grows, how hardy it is and how it tastes. I don't think I'll be gardening without this green from now onward.
That is great news. So glad you have found a fail proof veggie for you.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Turnips are good as cooked greens and roots eaten in stews. Been so long, don't remember eating them raw. Chief ingredient in pasties (meat pies). I can eat boiled with butter-not real fond but replaces mashed potatoes.

If I don't eat them, good to rebuild soil.

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have one variety of small white turnip (oasis) that I really enjoy in salads. The larger yellowish turnips and kohlrabi I'm less fond of. I cut them up, toss them with olive oil and roast them in a hot oven like oven fries.
A little turnip is good in barley soup, too.

Roasting turn ups is the only way that I found that I like them. But after reading this lengthy discussion about turnips I am almost convinced to try growing them to expand my palate

Latest posts