What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Pounded in 5 fence posts today!! Not the cleanest line, BUT, now I can put back the cattle fencing and keep Eva out of neighbor's yard. Bless her heart! She only ran in the mud and barked at the horses, then sat down in front of the barn while I cleaned stalls. I DO keep calling her and having her sit for love every...OK, it's every 5 minutes, BUT she's learning.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I guess I have the disease. I actually went to the store to buy a washer and dryer, and of course as I came out I had to detour through the garden center to see what the seasonal changes would look like. There were dormant 2 gal knockout roses on clearance for 5 bucks. It seemed reasonable, but where to put 30?

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I had some pent up winter gardener in me at the moment I bought them. Still, the yard is big enough that 2 large plantings will look good in front of some taller evergreens along the fenceline. We have a brilliant view of a neighbors garage area in winter so the evergreens are coming no matter what.

Redd Tornado

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Happy Last Day of the Decade!

I had the day off, so I organized my seed packages and when through all my saved seeds. I am horrified to discover that I didn't set aside many pea pods for seeds...I must have EATEN them ALL last spring....:idunno. I only had enough to direct sow a half row.

I spread out all of my seed catalogs on the kitchen table. I have my garden planner, with all of my detailed plans from past years. Great, fabulous designs, which I always forget about, around mid spring when I am faced with all of the seedlings I started.

This Saturday, I get to start my tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and squash. Oh My!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Happy Last Day of the Decade!

I had the day off, so I organized my seed packages and when through all my saved seeds. I am horrified to discover that I didn't set aside many pea pods for seeds...I must have EATEN them ALL last spring....:idunno. I only had enough to direct sow a half row.

I spread out all of my seed catalogs on the kitchen table. I have my garden planner, with all of my detailed plans from past years. Great, fabulous designs, which I always forget about, around mid spring when I am faced with all of the seedlings I started.

This Saturday, I get to start my tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and squash. Oh My!
I too am in zone 8A but we do not really get warm until Easter Sunday. Do you plant in March after last freeze? I seem to get the biggest celebrities if I ride the heat wave.

Redd Tornado

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I too am in zone 8A but we do not really get warm until Easter Sunday. Do you plant in March after last freeze? I seem to get the biggest celebrities if I ride the heat wave.
I plant the summer veg in March, but using row covers, I can plant herbs and marigolds mid Feb.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know why, but my entire being is feeling desperate to grow some food this coming season. Remember I live on a golf course; the planned wrought iron fence was rejected by the HOA due to a silly rule, leading to deer and Canada geese invasions; I am inundated by moles; and more....

I'm going to have to be creative to fulfill the pull...

Latest posts