What Did You Do In The Garden?

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Went out and picked up sticks under the trees this morning, with the dog's "help." Have enough of them I may add some old rotten firewood and make a small hugelkulture bed. Also took my pruners and did some experimental snipping on my grape vine and peach tree. Both are still alive!

I think I'm seeing some of the new crocus I planted last fall start to sprout. It's a bit early, but they're right next to the house and get the added heat bouncing off the walls.

I also dug my drip irrigation line out of the box I had it stored in and started to take the pieces apart. I need to look up and see if the rubber line can be recycled. Most of the pieces I can reuse easily, but some of the small ones need to go. I am hoping this year I can figure out a better layout.

Was looking at the sam's club mailer and they have a small greenhouse advertised for $250...the idea of one is burning a hole in my pocket, with my flats of seeds everywhere. I haven't even started the flowers yet, and I'm already out of room!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This did not happen in the garden but it is a small cedar shed we want for the main garden so we are not constantly hauling tools up and down for the garden. It took a couple nights after work and part of Saturday and part of today. Not sure how I will get it out of the garage lol. I will have to get help.
B9D9D6F9-2247-4370-804A-6D9340C06BB0.jpeg

I used a couple Rusty old trowels for handles.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This did not happen in the garden but it is a small cedar shed we want for the main garden so we are not constantly hauling tools up and down for the garden. It took a couple nights after work and part of Saturday and part of today. Not sure how I will get it out of the garage lol. I will have to get help.View attachment 34432
I used a couple Rusty old trowels for handles.

i love it! and the trowels are a great reuse and touch. :)

i understand that desire to have a place in the garden to keep tools...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have been dumping my coffee grounds outside since January. DH kept complaining that when I would throw the filter and wet contents in my burn barrel, that they would never dry out. Now, the filter only goes in the burn barrel (which is a lightweight plastic trash can on wheels and located by the back door by the kitchen,) and the filters dry out nicely. I have a small pile of grounds. Not sure what I will do with them, but I can certainly mulch plants in the Spring. I have 5 very fine lettuces that I started from seed. They are all about 7 inches tall. I moved a heat mat out to the porch, where I keep a slightly leaky fish tank. They were transplanted last month to a 16 inchish, 4inch wide rectaingular plastic porch planted (that has seen Better days), so I moved them to the fish tank on the south ledge of the unheated porch, with a glass top. It was cold last night, but they still look very good. I have started genovese basil (2/30 seedlings survived, in big pots on a heat mat on top of the fridge), opal basil (transplanted 13 from a pot bc they didn't like the kitchen sill, now repotted and on top of a heat mat on the top of the fridge), one pot of opal basil with about 20 some seedlings, 2-3 inches tall. THEY seem pretty happy on a ledge next to the window in the kitchen, BUT they are right underneath the coffee maker, and getting enough heat. I have been growing leeks in leftover containers, and they are about ready to transplant into individual cells and put them under lights in the basement, where it's chilly.
I promise to take pictures soon and start a 2020 Duck's Thread!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you if you rake those grounds out so that grass can grow through then you won't have to do much at all with them. :) after some number of years you'll likely have a nice mound there which can then be dug up and used or a good spot for your favorite blueberry bush. one you can raid every time you walk out the door. :)

Latest posts