What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday was picking beans, weeding that garden and then canning tomatoes for the afternoon. shelling beans other times off and on as i could do it. alas, some of the purselane had flowered and was dropping seeds. too late on the weeding there. so i will pay for that mistake in future years. luckily purselane is one of those weeds i can tolerate...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I walked through the garden.

DW did the harvesting ... while I mowed lawn on one side and weeds on the other.

She picked a cooler of "stuff" and 2 buckets half full. That shows you how long that I was mowing. She did pick, not 1, not 2, but 3 winter squash. I have to stop her from doing that. They require little more than than the carry down to a basement shelf to last months into the winter! Talk about easy, peasy preserving.

Steve, exhausted

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weeding, bramble cut backs and planting bee loving plants

Attachments

• 20200826_200352.jpg
    20200826_200352.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 205

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I went out and picked a mess of green beans, cooked them with new potatoes for supper. Have melons ripening, pumpkins and squash just about ripe. My zucchini and cucumber have powdery mildew on them, so will cut them out of the garden on my next day off. It is so hot here I am looking forward to the fall cleanup, just so I don't have to stand out there in the sun anymore!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no lawn in the backyard and can't imagine mowing for so long like you Ducks and Digits!

Started working on my small perennial bed. I gave away a Stella de Oro daylily and moved a pretty purple sage to put in it's place. Also had my husband remove the large flagstone that is underneath my angel statue for a smaller one. This extra space gave me room to move a chive volunteer next to the statue.

Trimmed my thyme that was huge and moved moved some gladiolus bulbs/plants to the back of the bed.

Today I will move a milkweed to the back of the bed and move a native yarrow up to the front. This bed is looking so much better now.

Mary

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deer ate all the tops of my potato plants, ate the Dahlias, and reached over my home made fence and ate/pulled up my butterscotch beans.

All the tomatoes have blossom end rot.

The eggplant seeds that I forget what her name is from up far eastern seaboard, have been making gorgeous fruits. I want to say Rosa Bianca so pretty. Then a petite long black thin one. I sauteed one of the Bianca ones in olive oil last nite. Heavenly!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
picked 180lbs of tomatoes of which about half will be put up today or got ready for Mom to use when she makes some manicotti this weekend. half a bucket already went to the reject bin for burying tomorrow morning. hate to waste anything but when they're leaking juices and smelling like they're fermenting it's not worth risking using them.

the melons i had to pick were wedged in between rocks and in one case the melon was formed underneath three surrounding rocks so i didn't even know it was there until this morning. three were cut up and we ate one for breakfast/brunch and will give some of what i cut up away to a friend that Mom will be seeing this afternoon. there's another six or more melons out there that are ready to be picked so i called some friends that said they'd want some. hope they show up today or tomorrow. will have more ready soon based upon how fast these have ripened. cooler weather i hope will slow things down. today is the last day of near 90sF temps. rain and cooler weather tomorrow and then next week down to low 70s even. yay!

i should get out and pull the onions too before we get rained on again. looking at the weather radar i should be out there right now... bye... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG! my knees just buckled!
I am in total awe of you guys.

it helps to have a good pad to stand on when doing a lot of processing - no knee buckling required... :) (it also helps with feet, ankles, lower back...) it also helps to have a process which keeps you moving a bit from side to side as you work. i have an entire assembly line going when i'm doing tomatoes so i'm wiggling from side to side so i'm not standing in an isolated position for long moments. it really helps.

Latest posts