What did YOU do in your garden today :P

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I became obsessed with the different egg colors, which is how I ended up with 54 chickens, -that, and not getting rid of the older ones!
image.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buckabucka, what a beautiful carton of eggs! I have brown, blue, blue/green and dark brown. I like that olive color, too.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you distinguish between the taste of certain chickens' eggs? I find the best tasting eggs are from our Easter Eggers. The Sussex's are kind of bland.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put the first tomatoes of the year in the ground yesterday: Whopper VFNT, Mr. Stripey, San Marzano, Heirloom Goldie, and Black Krim. Accompanied the young tomato plants with calendula, marigold, and Genovese basil.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on how many to get. I want to start small (3-5) and see how I do with them. I imagine the grandchildren will name them, but I am going to try not to! Giving the chickens away is a good way of getting around the problem of cooking a named chicken!

Remember, as long as you're starting small, that you do not need a rooster to get eggs from your hens. Unless you plan to breed them, a rooster will only eat and pester your the hens. You will be happier with just the chickens and eggs. If you start with chicks your first eggs will come about 6 months after hatching.

Roosters are the prettiest chickens, but rather useless in a small space. (Sorry, Guys.)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually spent the day in the garden, yesterday! We haven't tilled the main garden in awhile- so we broke out the tractor and got that done. Cleaned up one flower bed- and pulled out a bunch of sumac trees, that were getting too close to the garden. Still plenty to do- but my goodness was it nice to get out there! Happy Spring!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A few days in the 50's and the snow is finally disappearing FAST! ... revealing all the things I did NOT do in the Fall! :eek: I've had my grandson for the past week, while dad and mom are in Jamaica, so he has been in charge of playtime. He is 1 1/2 and such a joy to have around, but I am WAY ready to play in some mud! Rain or shine I will be out there tomorrow!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't get into the garden today. I spent most of the day watching and feeding a brush fire. We got rid of all the shrubs and trees that we pruned last week. The rest was raking and hauling leaves.

It was hot near the fire and warm away from it. I went with sleeveless so I'm watching to see if I have a bit of sunburn after my first full day playing outside.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think the different color eggs taste any different. I just like to look at them.

You all have convinced me that I must add San Marzano to my list of paste tomatoes to try this year. Apparently, they have seed locally at Home Depot. DH will seek it out tomorrow.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't get into the garden today. I spent most of the day watching and feeding a brush fire. We got rid of all the shrubs and trees that we pruned last week. The rest was raking and hauling leaves.

It was hot near the fire and warm away from it. I went with sleeveless so I'm watching to see if I have a bit of sunburn after my first full day outside.
Now here is a perfect example of someone contributing to air pollution and Global Warming ... we had the highest temperature (74* ) of the year yesterday which caused my 4 way grafted semi dwarf cherry tree to burst out in full bloom and the 5 crab apple ,2 Black Lace Elderberries and 7 "Red " maple trees' buds to open into leaves. Also, I sweated so much that my " T " shirt was soaking wet when I dug 2 raised beds and amended them with steer manure and peat moss. :th

Latest posts