What did YOU do in your garden today :P

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Actually spent the day in the garden, yesterday! We haven't tilled the main garden in awhile- so we broke out the tractor and got that done. Cleaned up one flower bed- and pulled out a bunch of sumac trees, that were getting too close to the garden. Still plenty to do- but my goodness was it nice to get out there! Happy Spring!

Glad to know you're out in your garden. It's so nice when the cold weather lets up!
Kathie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dahlia garden now has 4 beds ready for the posthole digger. In other words, a little fertilizer was sprinkled on them and DW and I went over the beds with spading forks. It will be awhile before the dahlia roots show up out there :).

I'm surprised that my feet are sore but standing for several hours and transplanting to 4-packs when I got home must not have helped the feet that had stomped so many times on that spading fork. Still, those beds are as soft as they could be!

You know, I'm just coming to the end of the 4-packing and it is almost time to move the 1st of the tomatoes from 4-packs into 31/2 " pots!

Secuono was questioning the "why" for up-potting. I moved some of those eggplants that just took forever to sprout and grow. That little bit of soil mix looks so exhausted! But mostly, my up-potting has to do with space.

I've got 4sqft on top the fridge for a warm spot for germination, I can stack the cookie boxes a little. There's 9sqft in the South Window for the infants. Then, there is 180sqft in the heated greenhouse.

Now! I gotta add in the 96sqft shed/hoophouse. I'll call it "semi-heated." There are already flats of cool-season plants in there. I might pull some things back into the South Window. Eggplants are pretty good companions on cool spring days . . .

:) Steve

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally planted my broccoli and lettuce transplants in the garden :celebrate and up-potted some more broccoli starts.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, the day I promised to get out in the mud I ended up taking Dad to the ER, surgery on Wed., and he's doing great, got him back home yesterday. Today is his birthday and I need to convince an 84 year *stubborn* young man to let me help him Spring clean his yard. I'm thinking of rounding up some of the neighborhood kids and telling Dad it's a community service project. :D I hope that works! Happy Spring! :woot

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Careful and best of luck with that, @Lavender2 .

I know what I do. I try to figure out how possibly I can get it done with diminished ability. Scheduling is a big part of it. The activity, I associate with recovery.

Maybe he will be happy as yard boss and be out there pointing at things with his cane. Maybe you can change everything around. "You know that hard-scaping work we always talked about? Why don't we have someone in to do that this year? Those bushes you threaten to take out? Let's get that done."

Use words like "hard-scape" and "threaten." Might just scare him back into the LazyBoy where he won't be causing problems.

Don't be neglecting yourself in all this. You know, you might just want to move some of your personal gardening right into Dad's yard!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you're dad's doing well Lavender, that must have been a little scary for you. :hugs

The "community service" angle sounds like a good idea. Who can argue with a group of kids earning their good deed badges?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, I bet if you contact a high school and talk to a counselor that you could round up a group of kids. Over here, kids are required to do a certain number of community hours and helping out seniors is a big hit. Glad everything was done quickly for your dad and i'ts over.

Mary

Latest posts