What did YOU do in your garden today :P

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like dandelions and I pick the leaves for the chickens. I love the sunny yellow flowers! Last year I made jelly and dried the petals for tea.

Oh, today I picked English peas and we had them for supper. They're done. Getting warm and it's time to plant something else in their spot.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a downpour while we were at the ice rink this morning so DH decided working outside was a bust. When we got home (12 miles) I found that we'd had very little rain while north and south of us people were deluged with rain, damaged by high winds, and covered with hail.

Nevertheless, DH stayed in the house all day while I spent most of the afternoon working in the veggie garden. I started out trying to work on the yards and flower beds, but DH complained that he planned to help and I was messing with 'his' leaves blowing in the winds. With the wind blowing at quite a pace, the leaves on my 'singing' trees were flying over the field and play yard into the already raked lawn. Any other direction and they'd never need be touched by a rake. Sigh!

So I worked outside and weeded and prepped four of the raised beds in the veggie garden.Tonight and tomorrow are supposed to be stormy. A good time to plan the garden, perhaps.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted garlic. Did it feel wonderful to get my hands in soil again after a long, hard winter.

Red, keep that bad weather. Hear it's coming my way. No thanks

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is really cool, but I don't think am adventurous to go do make some. ;) If it were offered to me I might try it, but I'm not a honey or jelly fan.:hide

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am still juggling seedlings around the house.
Yesterday was beautiful and warm, and since I was desperate to be outside, I went out and started shoveling snow off the area where the peas will go. Under the softer melting snow is a very thick ice layer that I can't break through, so I'm back to waiting...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I only name my roosters.
I bought 5 clearance dwarf daffodils and put them in my front, by the sidewalk bed. They were very pot-bound and each had two bulbs. I heard recently that daffodils will pull themselves deeper in the soil if you plant them too shallow. THAT's amazing!
I bought and planted a Hens&Chicks (Jovibarba Rollers) in a spot that is always too dry for a mini-rose, or anything else. I'm tired of pouring water into it and I figure that this groundcover will like the southern exposure and the dryness. Sounds like I'll need to keep an eye on it and replant new "chicks" every few years, but THAT is better than pulling out dead plants and fighting the weeds!
Read:
http://www.youngs-garden.com/succulents/planting-hens-and-chicks/
I also loosened up the last-year-amended-soil the the west of it and scattered wildflower seeds, then covered them up with dry leaves. It is amazing how easy soil is to work with when you work in tons of compost and manure. We're getting rain today and tomorrow, so I didn't bother watering.
Gathered some more dead stuff from my beds and burned it.

Last edited:

Latest posts