What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made 4 new potato towers and planted 9 lbs of potatoes between them. Pulled lots and lots of runner grass. Did a little work on my new small hugelkulture experiment.

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made 4 new potato towers and planted 9 lbs of potatoes between them. Pulled lots and lots of runner grass. Did a little work on my new small hugelkulture experiment.
Can we see pictures of your new garden, as it progresses. I love to put some dead wood to work and have an actual shade garden.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does indoor gardening count? I put my onion sprouts into flats. There's three feet of snow and ice on the ground, so we'll be lucky to work the soil by late April.

Yesterday we chopped the top off of our pear tree that shades the garden. Hopefully, we didn't kill it.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can we see pictures of your new garden, as it progresses. I love to put some dead wood to work and have an actual shade garden.
Here are a couple of pics before I started back filling all the way today.

I'll post more pics when I have it back filled.

DSC_0420.JPG
DSC_0421.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kassaundra, I notice the tires are sliced, is this on purpose for your bed or are you using what you had? Also, what role do the tires play in the hugelkuture? To hold extra soil around roots?
Very interesting experiment you're doing!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kassaundra, I notice the tires are sliced, is this on purpose for your bed or are you using what you had? Also, what role do the tires play in the hugelkuture? To hold extra soil around roots?
Very interesting experiment you're doing!
The tires are split b/c it was a failed experiment w/ making a short "fence" out of them to go around the garden and keep the chickens from eating the plants through the fence.

The tires have nothing to do w/ hugelkulture, they are to support my fence "towers" and to make a raised bed border. I use them for little mini raised beds, since they are free, accessible, easy, will be there until I die w/o needing changing.

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Kassaundra, thank you for posting the photos!

I'll be patient to see the rest of your project as it shapes up.
Masoud