What did YOU do in your garden today :P

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tires are split b/c it was a failed experiment w/ making a short "fence" out of them to go around the garden and keep the chickens from eating the plants through the fence.

The tires have nothing to do w/ hugelkulture, they are to support my fence "towers" and to make a raised bed border. I use them for little mini raised beds, since they are free, accessible, easy, will be there until I die w/o needing changing.
The black tires raise the soil temp and hold the heat overnight.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will get dressed in yellow rain gear, same kind Alaskan fishermen wear, to put in that second upright for the chicken wire tightening up, south side, main garden.

Must get things done regardless of the rain. Sequentiating processes to get the Peas planted soon as possible.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ohhhkay, got that upright into the ground, the chicken wire stapled to it, the extension piece to 8 foot high. Did it in the muck, but no complaints about the rain. We need a lot more.

Lake is rising nicely. First bouy is floating upright, A dock has water around 80% of it, some water is almost reaching to B dock.

For those of you who know how to see it on google maps, satellite/earth view, A dock is farthest south here at the northwest part of the lake.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just planning.
As usual, I want to grow EVERYTHING - but my garden is little. So I'm wandering around the yard finding places I can tuck things in.
Scallop squash between the crepe myrtles and fragrant olives in the front bed. Spaghetti squash crawling around the base of the iris's. Watermelon amongst the Rose of Sharon. Pumpkins out in the paddock. Pole beans where the climbing rose died.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled annual rye grass from one bed. It's supposed to be annual, but in this climate, it reseeds and comes back every year. I moved 3 chard plants from the little garden spot in the back yard, which is also a foot tall in annual rye grass. I clipped side shoots of the broccoli yesterday in that bed and soon I'll open the gate and let the chickens in. But I did want to get the chard plants outa there first!

It's a steamy, humid 78*F right now, will be tomorrow too, then dive to freezing Sunday night and Monday. It's supposed to be rainy and cold all week. I guess that clinches it, the baby ducks that are coming will be in the house and not outside in the area I prepared for them. :idunno

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I walked past the garden on my way to tend the chickens. I looked at the snow falling and covering all the garden beds and shed a tear. It froze on my cheek.