What did YOU do in your garden today :P

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did get 50 tomato plants in this evening and mulched. Ava planted all of her Roma's, with a little help from her Daddy. Put in 5 short rows of corn too. Got the bed prepped for the beans, but didn't quite make it that far. We're supposed to get lots of rain all week, but I should be able to get those beans tucked into the raised bed if it dries out a bit in between showers.

I still have watermelon, cantaloupe, gourds and various winter squash to put in, mostly just fun stuff. Those won't take too long to put in once it dries out again. I went ahead and mulched that whole area so the weeds won't start up before I get there.

After that, just flowers left to go! I'll do pics once everything's planted.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had put up a sign that a friend brought me ... to add to the fishing line I have around the garden ...

Picture 11027.jpg

I think the sign is working today... it turned and ran away... :D

Picture 10982.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I moved my iris that was in the way of the pathway I'm doing behind my perennial bed. Also rearranged the flagstone and finished laying the last piece. It looks kind of like a secret garden back there. Now I can pick my raspberries without stepping on dirt and compacting it. I also trimmed and deheaded and as I placed the stuff in my trash bucket the kids kept pulling it out and making boquets out of it. They actually looked nice. They added some basil tips that were starting to flower and they smelled good.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled weeds. I pulled more weeds. I pulled up failed squash plants. I think the wonky cold/hot weather this spring confused them and they decided to hibernate. Sigh...... I'll just start over with the squash.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled weeds. I pulled more weeds. Then, I pulled even more weeds!

I was in the onions for hours trying to help them out in their competition with the purslane. The purslane is just now large enough to recognize as a plant.

I did find, not only quite a few nightshade plants, but several potato beetles feeding on them! Their fluorescent orange eggs, under the leaves! Some of these were within yards of my eggplants!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather was nice and I got the beans planted today. 40 different kinds, mostly grow-outs and some for my canning too. Also planted some zinnias and cosmos in the big veggie garden. Ran out of straw. Sending DH for 5 more bales tomorrow. The rain we're supposed to get this week will be bringing on the weeds soon. Mulch, mulch, mulch!

I gave Ava her own spot in the garden, a wide row 3'x12'. She planted several kinds of bush beans, one hill of watermelon, one hill of cantaloupe, basil, zinnias and some mixed wildflowers. She prepped the bed, fertilized and planted it all by herself. I can't wait for her to get to enjoy the fruits of her labor from her first garden. I gave her a couple of these Piros Feher beans to plant and that tickled her pink since they are so pretty.
piros ferer.jpg
Walking the back 40, I found Orange Rust all over the wild blackberries back there. I don't think there is much hope for me growing my own thornless blackberries with all of these wild ones around here. I'm surrounded on both sides. It is a freakishly orange fungus. You can spot it pretty far off.
cd0012-212.jpeg

I did find out the other day that there is a blackberry U-pick about 20 miles from here though. And a blueberry one too, although in a couple more years I won't need that one.

Still have melons and winter squash to go. Those will probably have to wait until Saturday though. We are in for some heavy rains, so they say.

Does anyone know if we're doing the Giant Pumpkin contest again this year?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I pulled weeds. I pulled more weeds. Then, I pulled even more weeds!

I think it was @digitS' that said he doesn't walk by bindweed. It seemed like a good plan, until I realized I would never walk again of I went that route! It had dampened my spirits, until I decided I would rather be outside pulling bindweed than stuck in some city apartment.

Lots still to plant here, but it may have to wait until the weekend. Busy week at work.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@buckabucka , I have one of those dandelion hoes, or whatever they might be called. Just a kind of narrow forked tool with a handle that is used to pry a dandelion (or other weed) out of the ground. Usually they are short but mine has about a 36" handle.

I very nearly need a cane for anytime I'm in the garden. Why not that thing? I 've got to remember to begin carrying it regularly.

:) Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shall we begin the great annual WEED PULLING CONTEST yet?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought of that contest in the garden yesterday, @marshallsmyth .

Also, I remembered of having said that I can think of no value to having rocks in the garden soil.

How do you count taking a pebble and crushing 2 or 3 purslane plants under it?

Steve

Latest posts