What did YOU do in your garden today :P

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Purslane is edible. I tried it. Once. Raw. Fresh.

Bleeyech!

Although I've heard there are some excellent recipes for it.

I'd sure rather eat Purslane than a bug though, not being like that some guy I once saw on someone's tv who parachuted down into some forsaken wilderness to survive for 3 weeks on basically nothing. That guy ate bugs. I couldn't watch. But when he smashed open a cactus to eat the pulp, I watched. He chewed on weed seeds and leaves. One of them looked like a Purslane. Probably was.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been slowly plugging along in the garden. The 'fancy' tomatoes are in - 2 each of White Wonder, Uncle Mark Bagby, Chocolate Stripe and Thessalonica. But the ‘nicas shriveled up under their umbrella and had to be re-started. Got a small patch each of Blue Lake Bush beans and … I think they’re called Goat’s Eye (or something like that) beans. A few summer squash are sprouting. The pole beans are coming up nicely (Dragon Tongue & …. Kentucky Wonder???). Put nearly a dozen Roma tomatoes out the other night. Lincoln Peas are growing great and are starting to produce. Still so much to get in the ground… maybe this weekend….

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
O.K I am not sure where to put this, so I will put it where it will be seen. :p :hide I was given Inchelium red, and Silver rose, garlic a few weeks ago, I have been researching when to plant garlic and it seems garlic should be planted in early spring or late fall.:\ Seeing how it is nearly summer, I have clearly missed the mark. How do I store/keep the garlic from going over until the appropriate planting season? Mods feel free to move this to where it belongs :p

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
in my case, if i missed garlic that died back and i didn't pull it before then, it will just sprout up the following fall into spring like nothing fazed it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some tomatoes and BlueJay77's beans. One variety of bush beans seemed to have two different looks. Most were round and solid color and some oval and mottled. I separated them and planted them apart.

I also planted more flowers along the front walkway and fretted while DH cleaned the eaves. Started the day with some weeding and picture taking.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I accomplished garden wise was to get the tomatoes partially caged and I put away some dehydrated cilantro. On my second planting of Bluejay's beans the Volta, Lazy Housewife Red, and Timbavati are all sprouting well. Almost perfect germination of those. That's a relief.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Purslane is edible. I tried it. Once. Raw. Fresh.

Bleeyech!

Although I've heard there are some excellent recipes for it. . .

I'm not sure what one could do with purslane if it is still raw. Maybe someone is making smoothies out of it.

I have just eaten it in the garden, out of hand. I have to remember to do that before the digitS' are too dirty :).

No, I don't really care for it. Right now, I have the flavor of sorrel confused with the taste of purslane. I think they are much the same but I first tried both about the same time. That garden had sorrel and it wasn't any problem. I left that garden and its sorrel behind about 10 years ago. Purslane follows me and almost seems to be more of a problem each year.

I know what happened to all those little weeds I threw in the paths yesterday. After the rain, they are all just fine!!!! They will be righting themselves now. Well, another surprise is coming there way - like a freight train!

I only tilled 2 perimeter paths today - 4 passes! It was too muddy to continue. Those weeds can wait awhile, since they aren't trying to go to seed just yet, anyway. Their days are numbered . . .

Steve

Latest posts