What did YOU do in your garden today :P

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you you described a crappy day, then the butterfly flew past you face and put things into perspective. I love Harbor Freight! If I don't buy it for me, I buy it for SIL, he is delighted when we show up with tools! Good luck to you with the yard work!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since @ducks4you brought chainsaws up I have to ask, does anyone have or used an electric chain saw? I doubt that I want to use the gas saw DH has, but there are plenty of places where I would feel comfortable trimming branches if I had an electric one. I did buy a battery powered tree-saw that has worked well although the battery is no longer holding a good charge.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since @ducks4you brought chainsaws up I have to ask, does anyone have or used an electric chain saw? I doubt that I want to use the gas saw DH has, but there are plenty of places where I would feel comfortable trimming branches if I had an electric one. I did buy a battery powered tree-saw that has worked well although the battery is no longer holding a good charge.

Yes! My very first chainsaw was an electric one made by Remington. My husband unwittingly bought it for me when we lived on property without so many trees, and I was very reasonable and only pruned what was necessary.

THEN, we bought acreage with WOODS!

He told me to leave them alone.

But they were terribly crowded.

He had to go away for a few weeks....well, lets just say the dust in the driveway had barely settled when I got my longest extension cord and my little chainsaw out! I got my boys to haul and stack the trees in a cleared space up by our road and we worked our tails off every day for about a week. We got the trees directly behind the house cleared enough to swing a cat,
(a stuffed one natch!) and it was ever so much better that when he got home he agreed they might need to be thinned after all. :)

Somehow he forgave me for not consulting him before playing Paul Bunyan because he has since bought me a gas one and I'm no longer restrained by the length of an extension cord.

Sorry, got a little excited there, but yes, electric, Remington 14" bar. Ran like a champ for years.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've been using a Remington 16" that was given to us by a friend who seemed to have a collection going. they are only as good as the cord will reach. and remember, DON'T CUT THE CORD! :th dh did that last weekend after trying to trim off the branches from the large maple we took down during the week. i don't recommend using one on large trees. small to medium sized trees are fine.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the last week or so I have dug all the potatoes, the garlic and the onions. I have been picking about 4 pounds of beans a day, but it seems to be slowing down. I pickled peppers and I made 4 quarts of bread and butter ice box pickles and 3 pints of dill ice box pickles. We have been frying squash. Today, I pulled all the lettuce that went to seed. I picked a big bowl of peppers and chopped them up and put in the freezer. My hands are burning a little right now. I picked more beans and got those froze. I picked some blackberries and made the best blackberry pie I ever made, and I made freezer pickles with 8 pounds of cucumbers. I also made coleslaw with purple cabbage. I dehydrated 8 pounds of cherry tomatoes that were frozen, but now I am starting to freeze fresh cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes are going to keep me busy soon.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FINALLY, I got my bed up and planted Brussel Sprouts!!! Nobody had any, so I had to order them from Burpee. Looking forward to harvesting them around Thanksgiving!!! One more bed to fix, THEN weeding...the...FINALLY, with DD done with the BAR, on to Horse Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :weee

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Monty J picked the corn yesterday and blanched it and froze it. We got more than we expected to get and there are about 50 more ears to be picked in a few days. :D So far, we have about 130 ears of corn.... minus what we ate yesterday :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted eight Packman broccoli plants I started from seed. Doesn't sound like much but I have a groundhog visiting that ate the first broccoli I planted so I built a fence around the plants today to hopefully keep hoggy out. (Those things are hard to trap or shoot even when I know where the den is.) And since it is the middle of August with full sun, temperatures in the 90's, and no rain when I'm starting cool weather plants I hung some sheets on the fence to give the plants some shade. They are also well mulched.

For supper I cooked beets and corn on the cob.