What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
About keys - I have done so many crazy things with car keys that I do not even get out to scrape windows or do anything without taking the keys with me

NICE potatoes! How long were they in the ground? I am starting to think I dig my potatoes too early.
5 months!!!! Plant Good Friday, Harvest early Nov.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
5 months!!!! Plant Good Friday, Harvest early Nov.

I am digging mine too early. I think this year I am going to plant 1 row and leave them in. I usually plant a larger area and then dig them early trying to use that spot for something else and it never really works out. I would be much happier with a harvest like yours. :drool

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, I planted several varieties of spuds. They went into the ground within a couple of weeks of each other. The Yukon Gold were very early. They turned brown and died back in July. The last were Pontiac Reds. They flowered after the Yukons were harvested and were dug up the last week of September.

You just need to find the right varieties for your conditions. With your heat, short season spuds sound pretty good. Don't forget to plant some short season spuds for a fall harvest as well.

I haven't checked all the threads yet today. How are you and yours managing the Polar Vortex this week? How cold has it gotten for you?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red we will get down to 32 degrees tonight and 27 tomorrow night. Not a fly speck on the wall compared to what you are experiencing, but cold for this part of the country! I brought Alex (Meyer lemon tree) inside tonight.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We started the day at 27. It was getting colder and windier when I went to lock up the chickens. Their water was frozen this morning so tonight I turned on the heat light and added a heater under the chicken waterer. Sure hate to do that so early in the season, but. . . Hopefully they will fare well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made it to the dump today. It was 16°f this morning but the wind had died away. I was glad I started loading the truck at 8am. The wind picked up to 18mph by 11 ...

I started without insulated gloves so there was a nice long intermission in there while I got some feeling back into my hands.

The afternoon was spent puppy-sitting Garbanzo & Waffles while dozing. I woke up to this and thought all of you might like to see some green gardens and a British "reality show!"

It was a kick seeing how seriously they could take things while obviously having a good bit of fun :):

The Big Allotment Challenge (YouTube link :))

I hope you enjoy the show.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
He acts like a puppy in many ways. But, he is 8 years old.

His juvenile playfulness and dependency is probably because he's nearly blind. Also, he's a tiny Maltese - a rescue.

Seven pound, hyperactive Garbanzo pushes him around ... unless he loses his temper, which seldom happens.

Steve
i'll ask DD about a picture :)

Latest posts