What did YOU do in your garden today :P

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made it to the dump today. It was 16°f this morning but the wind had died away. I was glad I started loading the truck at 8am. The wind picked up to 18mph by 11 ...

I started without insulated gloves so there was a nice long intermission in there while I got some feeling back into my hands.

The afternoon was spent puppy-sitting Garbanzo & Waffles while dozing. I woke up to this and thought all of you might like to see some green gardens and a British "reality show!"

It was a kick seeing how seriously they could take things while obviously having a good bit of fun :):

The Big Allotment Challenge (YouTube link :))

I hope you enjoy the show.

Steve

I watched a few minutes of the show and look forward to watching the rest. I don't think I could team up with anyone on such a small piece of ground and come out of it still friends. I'd have a hard time collaborating; my way or the highway, you know. :p And I'd probably get into a brawl with the owners of the neighboring plot when my pumpkin vines come creeping over into their space. DH just mows around, but grumbles about it quite a lot. :D

I can't foresee them making an American version, do you? Culturally, the British seem to be more serious about gardening, while most Americans are obsessed with other things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can imagine an American version, @journey11 . Probably some gardeners in battledress ...

We do have gardeners who enter their produce at the fair. I think that's wonderful, from a spectator's view point. I might willingly participate but "For England!" Don't you know? Otherwise, I'd need some practice being a little more civilized ...

:)

Steve
image1_kindlephoto-608198.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It got up to about 42 today, with almost no wind. Very overcast, but not bad. I managed to get a layer of plastic put on over the agribon-19 on the low hoop. The greens inside looked kinda sad after the 20* we have been having. Going even lower the next couple of nights. As long as it isn't too windy, the cold is not bad. Something ate through one of the anchor cords I had on the tunnel hoops. Looks like it was cut in a couple of places down at soil level, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone out there cutting on nylon cord. Maybe a squirrel. I put more on, and put concrete blocks along the west edge, to discourage flapping in the wind. It felt good to get out and do physical work; something besides chasing my chickens around the yard. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the poor little seedlings too close to the south wall of the greenhouse covered. Recounted the problem here (link).

One low tunnel was in the middle of the greenhouse. It fits there and the plants catch some sun.

This new location is a very narrow bed but I have now covered the bed, path and my little bench in there. It looks like it will work. The arc of the plastic allows some insulation under the slanting south wall of the greenhouse.

In the mornings, I will be pulling plastic film to the side and stepping over the hoops as I move forward into the greenhouse. Repeat those steps in the afternoon.

Someone would think these plants are terribly precious but, it will just be a little daily chore. Did I ever tell you that when I was in elementary school, I thought I would have a dairy when I grew up? I thought my life would pretty much all be about doing chores.

Steve :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my garlic in today. I cut this pretty close. Where i wanted to plant the garlic, it was froze. Everything is froze. I have a box where I usually plant lettuce and it was soft as could be. I am not sure why. Could be I had lettuce in there that had froze, so had worked the ground late and leaves were on top of that. I added compost and put straw on top about 3 inches. I left part of the box on the end for lettuce next spring. I added compost to that too.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
since it was a nice day 50ish uncovered the children for the afternoon pulled weeds and picked the leafs out, will be glad when that tree has a accident with my chainsaw this winter...
the dw picked bok choy for dinner dang that was great .... going to harvest a stalks of brussel sprouts for thanksgiving dinner they have had a couple good hard frosts, so hopefully they have sweetened up

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I emptied the last truck load of leaves in the front garden, cut down the JA, cut back the dead clematis vines, and got my trailer in it's little barn for the winter. I had wanted to get all the hand tools cleaned up before storage, but I figure, what's another year gonna hurt? I always want to do that final clean and oil, so I figure it's the thought that counts.

Latest posts